Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 or XJ1100

Hi All,

I recently acquired a 1982 (I think) 1100 maxim (In Canada), at least thats what I was told by the previous owner. The registration however says 1982 XS1100.

I have checked the specs in this forum to see if I would find my serial number but it is not there. The serial on the bike and on the registration is:

11G000220

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a XJ1100 Maxim or an XS1100.

I read somewhere that the XJ1100 has curved wheel spokes as opposed to straight ones for the XS1100, but then I saw some photos (in this forum) of an 1981 XS1100 LH (Midnight Special) and it also has curved wheel spokes.

I have also searched the entire internet and back for a 1982 Yamaha XJ1100 service manual but can not find anything (I could find plenty of 1981 yamaha XS1100 service manuals) are they the same?

I am not very mechanically knowledgeable (or handy) so please bear with me here (can anyone recommend any good books on general motorcycle mechanics and electrics).

The bike that I just acquired (was unable to start it due to drained out battery), when I rolled the bike manually the front brakes where locked. The previous owner told me that the brake pads needed changing. Would worn out brake pads cause the brakes to lock like that. Right now I unscrewed the bolts that held the brake caliper onto the disk, but I had a hard time removing them, I had to almost pry them off, is this normal?

One more thing, the previous owner did tell me that the battery was finished and I needed another one. I have taken this battery (when first checked it read close to 0 volts) and I am in the process of trying to charge it. I am using a 12v, 1 am/hr charger, it has now been almost 2 hours that it is being charged and the battery (when I disconnect the charger) reads 9.5 volts. Can I revive this battery. On the battery I can see the acid level is below the Lower Line indicator, does this mean that acid is missing.

Any advice/information to get me understand things a bit better and get me going would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Peter

New Owner

Wow, that is a lot of questions all at once. Here are some answers.
    1. Serial number. 11G 000- - - Was Canadian release of the 1982 XJ 1100 J Model. They came in Yamaha Black or New Ruby Red.

2. Front brake problem could be a seized caliper from sitting to long or a plugged compensating port in the master cylinder. Open the bleeder screw (wear eye protection), if fluid squirts out from simply opening the screw the port in the master cylinder is plugged. If there is no pressure there then one or more calipers is likely seizing. (be careful, DO NOT pull on the front brakes with the calipers off of the front rotors-you will pop the piston right out off the caliper)

3.On the battery, top it up to the full level with WATER not acid. Then recharge. You may get lucky but if the bike has sat for any length of time the battery is likely junk.

4. If you cannot locate a manuel locally go to the name rockjok in the members section of this site. You can order a CD from him for $10.00 US that will likely cover a great deal of the info you need to know.

You should be able to get a great deal of good info right off of this site but suggest in the future you ask just one question within each inquiry. You will likely get a more complete answer.

PS. Where are you located? Possibly a fellow XS'er lives near by and could give you more timely and complete answers.

Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Thanks ratbyk, for all the info provided below, you have been very helpful, sorry for the multiple questions. I tend to start rambling off. So I guess the registration is wrong, it should be XJ110 not XS110, correct?

I had gone ahead and removed the caliper assembly (before reading this post) off the rotors and removed the barke pads. The brake pads are all worn out unevenly. When removing the caliper assembly should they be so hard to remove off the rotor.

ratbyk is it alright if I open the bleeder screw with the caliper assembly removed from the rotor.

Sorry for all the trivial question, but I am a newbie towards motorcycles.

BTW, I am located in Montreal.

Thanks
      Peter

Comment

The XJ 1100 was sold in the US for 1 year only, 1982, but in Canada it was sold for 3 years '82-84 model years.

YOUR PADS ARE NOT WORN UNEVENLY if you mean they are angled (thicker at top or bottom) check the tips that is the way all specials (and the XJ is just a glorified special) were made. If the inside or ouside is worn more then that is a sticking caliper or blocked spooge hole, again please check all the tips sections fro brake info and detailed instructions on fixing this exact problem.

enjoy the new bike (and come to one of our 2 Cabadian rallys this summer!)
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

New Owner

We all have our own way of doing things.
          If it was me unless I was removing the front wheel I would only remove 1 caliper at a time. After removing the 2 mounting bolts I firmly grasp the caliper and rock it back and forth to push the pads and piston back a bit for clearance on the rotor. (disc) You should then be able to wiggle the caliper/pad Assembly off of the rotor.
          Yes, you can loosen the bleeder screw with the caliper off it's mounts. Just be aware that if there is a pressure build up in the system that it is going to spit at you. Close it immediately after opening to prevent air from getting into the system.
          If there is no pressure build up on loosening the bleeder screw then the master cylinder compensating port (spooge hole) is not blocked (plugged).
          To replace the pads remove some brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir. (be carefully-brake fluid loves to eat paint-cover your fuel tank with a towel or something) With the pads out of the way use a large C-clamp or large slip joint pliers to push the caliper piston back into it's bore to provide the clearance you need for the new thicker pads.
          As Gary Granger said in the previous post-read the tips/service advice section on xs 11 brakes. It has a wealth of info that should walk you through virtually any repair on XS/XJ brakes.
          You sure are not in my neighborhood. I'm about 4000 km west of you on Vancouver Island. (had a nice ride this afternoon)
          Granger is south of you in Watertown NY. I have seen post from a couple of people in PQ in fact one was in Montreal but don't remember their names. Possibly they will chime into this thread and identify themselves for you.
          Ken/Sooke
          78E Ratbyk
          82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Service CD

The service CD which is very complete and also has some parts books as well is available from; Rob Mills. His E-mail address is;
            rockjok@imt.net.
            The CD/Book is very complete and in formative. It covers virtually all models including your XJ.
            Rob is a nice guy and if he is home to receive you inquiry he will get back to you.
            Ken/Sooke
            78E Ratbyk
            83 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

The XJ service manual is not the same as the XS, so I would go with the Rob Mills cd or get the original factory service manual. The factory job is about $38 - $42 US.

The XJ wiring is different than the XS, plus there are minor differences in carbs. The XJ instrument pod is substantially differnt than the mechanical pod of XS11s.

In the US the XJ serial numbers begin with "10M". In most cases the first numbers of a part represent the model where the part was first used, so parts that are unique to the XJ will start with the 10M prefix. Some items, such as brake rotors, carry different part numbers than the solid XS rotors, but are interchangeable.

Braking systems are different as well. The XJ uses a linked system where the back and front left calipers are tied together throgh a proportioning valve.

You are correct in the curved wheel spokes...they came out on the '81 models, as well as a difference in front forks where the axle is a "leading" type instead of going throgh the fork leg. (The XJ is basically an outgrowth of the '81 Special.)

There are quite a few XJ owners on this list, so ask any questions you have. These are great bikes, with adjustable handlebars, all-electronic ignition, larger fuel tanks, air-adjustable suspension, and a very poor seat.....
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Need a hand??

Depending on where you are, I could easily meet you and discuss your problems. Just let me know!

-Justin

Comment

Winner

I knew there had to be someone down that way that could help Peter out and give him some support.
                  Ken/Sooke
                  78E Ratbyk
                  82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Justin, I have sent you a pm.

Comment

Working...
                    X