Consuming mass quantities of oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consuming mass quantities of oil

After purchasing my '80 XS11 Special and changing the oil, I have burned through about a quart in around a 1k mi. I am also getting a ton of what appears to be blow-by coming out of my crankcase vent. I am probably going to tear off the top end, check the valves, hone, and replace the rings at the very least.

Bike has 65k-ish miles on it. I can't comment on previous owner's mx practices or if the engine has had any internal work done. When I changed the oil, I have never seen so much sht on a filter. Other than the oil thing, starts and runs like a champ!

Is there anything else I should check out while I am in there?
    Last edited by randomdude; 10-07-2011, 02:02 PM.

First a compression test will give you lots of information.
    If it's just one cylinder or all.
    You may just have a stuck ring or 2. Some have tried putting a little oil in the spark plug hole and seeing if that changes the compression.
    I've actually done something rare and burnt a hole in my piston.
    (probably not your problem if it "runs like a champ")
    Another test you can try is a "leak down" test. this checks the valves and rings.

Ask lots of questions here and you'll get a lots of good advice.
    I know I did and boy did it help.

Also it helps to add your bike details to your signature. That way we know what bike you have and can better direct our advice.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

You've more than likely got some stuck or broken rings. I would try running it for a while and see if it clears up.

If the oil was a filthy as you say,keeping clean oil in it and running it a while might free it up.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        You've more than likely got some stuck or broken rings. I would try running it for a while and see if it clears up.

If the oil was a filthy as you say,keeping clean oil in it and running it a while might free it up.
        +1! Agree with you there!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Agree with all the above, run it a couple thousand miles with several oil changes between before you start turnin' any wrenches on it.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Actually, thinking about it, a quart in 1000 miles ain't all that bad.

Running hard or some high speed highway miles that's about what I'll go through on mine.

As I recall, I've added about 2 quarts since my last oil change and I change oil every 3000 miles.

I've been to Minnesota, about 1500 round trip plus ride miles when I was up there, and several day trips since the last change.
            Last edited by BA80; 10-07-2011, 08:19 PM.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

+1 Mine used plenty of oil for the first 3K after being resurrected.
              Now hardly any at all.
              Phil
              Last edited by MaximPhil; 10-07-2011, 08:19 PM.
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Heh heh....you beat me to the submit button Phil.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

This might be a 'duh' thing, but how are you checking your oil? If you're looking while it's on the side stand and filling to the mark, you're overfilling it and it will 'use' oil. The bike has to be level, or use the centerstand....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah, bike is centered while checking.

That is a good idea to do the leakdown and compression test. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I am thinking at the moment that I will probably at least replace the rings and check the valve guides. Mostly because I like doing that kind of stuff. That thought could very easily change a few times throughout the day.

Comment

Just wondering what brand and grade of oil you put in it. Some new formula oils can be consumed at a much higher rate than the good old ordinary mineral oils. I'm sure someone will chip in with a more informative opinion once you tell us what type it was.
                      79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                      Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                      *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                      *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

+1 on the oil type and weight. I've also noticed that these engines seem to burn oil if less than 20wXX as well which is what they were designed for (20w40 per the manual but I've not been able to find that so run 20w50 since that's available). 10w30 is ok if the temp is always below 59 degs, but that almost never happens here for more than a few days at a time, and 10w30 in only required below 41 degs so I stick with the 20w50. Every time I've tried 15w40 it's started burning oil, but with the 20w50 it doesn't, go figure. That 20w50 BTW is Castrol 4T which is a MC specific designed for wet clutches as well.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Keep in mind though that rings are not always all that easy or cheap to come by, no changing the ring just because is not really a good idea.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ring Job

If you do end up replacing the rings, you'll need to hone the cylinders too.
                            Check you dimensions because after years of wear, you might find that there's too much clearance and then the next step is to bore out and up size the pistons.
                            Big bucks there.
                            If your compression numbers are somewhat good and getting better as time goes by, then it sounds like all is good in there.
                            I had to replac one piston (due to hole) and put 4 sets of OEM Size rings in my bike, Took 2 days (by myself, could have been a little faster with 2 people and a ring clamp or 2)
                            It did take me 3 weeks to find the right sized rings and used pistons on ebay though.
                            I just wish I had sprung for the bottom jug gasket. I think I've got some oil weepage going on down there now. Permatex gasket in the tube isn't working as well as I thought it should have. Should have used the YamaBond stuff that all of you guys swear by.
                            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                            The Green Monster
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                            Got him in '04.
                            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                            Scarlet
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                            Hugo
                            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

I used permeate anaerobic gasket maker on the bottom, no weeping there any of the times I have pulled the jugs off.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X