Why you should vacuum sync.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you should vacuum sync.

How did I ever survive with out a vacuum sync rig ?!?! (I've owned this bike for over 7yrs now and have had the carbs out many time for cleaning)
    So, I had only bench sync'd (wire tie method) until now.

I built one very similar to the one in the tool tech post.
    Got the gage from harbor frieght and the PVC/fittings/tubing from Home Depot and the valve from the pet store. (around $20 total)

I can't believe how easy it was to use it.
    The hardest part was hooking the tank up backwards (turned around) (damn fuel lines and tank angle)(had to put something under it so it would sit level)
    Just a few tweaks on the carbs and bamm!
    The readings weren't off that much and I didn't think that it would matter.
    Boy was I wrong!
    Purrs like a kitten, throttle response is great and idles just right.

I read time and time again in this forum about the vac sync and I thought, naw, my bike runs just fine, I don't need to spend any more money. I wish I had done this years ago. The amount of money I could have saved in just fuel alone would have paid for itself many times over.

Thanks again to all of you for your insightful input to everyone's issues.
    I guess I can safely say: been there, DONE that!
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

I'm gonna have to try that out. A buddy of mine were just talking the other day about going half on a gauge ... but if we can buy/make on, thats even better!
    ~Jay
    Guilty Ones M.C.
    Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
    2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

I haven't used a gauge set up to do that to mine. I ended up using some clear tubing and transmission fluid. Hook up both ends to the vacuum tubes and adjust from there until the level is even in both tubes. Gauge is undoubtedly more accurate but even after this tubing set up, noticed a huge difference.

Comment

This sinking thing is getting a lot of airplay. how deep do you have to sink them and how long do you leave them under?
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

This sinking thing is getting a lot of airplay. how deep do you have to sink them and how long do you leave them under?
          HAHA

As a retired Navy Submariner, I'm used to going down and staying under for a long time. The tricky part is knowing when to come up for air.

I thought about the Tranny fluid setup, but I was scared of the possiblity of sucking that stuff in.
          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
          The Green Monster
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
          Got him in '04.
          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
          Scarlet
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
          Hugo
          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
          Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
            HAHA

As a retired Navy Submariner, I'm used to going down and staying under for a long time. The tricky part is knowing when to come up for air.

I thought about the Tranny fluid setup, but I was scared of the possiblity of sucking that stuff in.
            That's one of the reasons for using tranny fluid, if it sucks in, it just burns it. Even with that setup, you should put some sort of restriction in the line to dampen things, but they are actually more accurate than gauges, just harder to setup and touchier to adjust, and I'm not sure 99.9% of people could tell the difference between a sync with a properly adjusted cheap gauge set and a top quality set or the tube and tranny fluid setup (which done right is the most accurate of all).
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by jkoeringMN View Post
              Gauge is undoubtedly more accurate but even after this tubing set up, noticed a huge difference.
              Accuracy has nothing to do with it. Consistancy is the key. Doesnt matter what the level is, or where the guage sits as long as all 4 read the same.
              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I agree with Brian, as long as they're all the same...
                Look on CL, I found a set of brand new 4 accross vacuum guages that a crotch rocket owner didn't know how to use for $25, normally $75+
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

If you use a 4 gage set up, it IS important to "calibrate" the gages. Meaning, hook each one up, one at a time, to the same cylinder or a mity-vac or similar and verify they get the same reading. If not , mark the adjustment on each gage. They will most likely be off some.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                  X