New Member with XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member with XS1100

Hello, I just got a 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special and need some good advise.
    I got the bike with pods and 4 to 1 I think Super Trap exhaust Accel super coil kit, the carbs have been jetted to I do not know, I do have the stock jets and stock air box.
    questions I have are:
    Which would be better pods or air box?
    Would stock jets be ok with just the exhaust and coil upgrade?
    I do live in Denver 5400 ft altitude.
    Thank you for your time and response.
    Ron

Welcome! Is the bike already running well? If so I say leave things alone for now. If not then I say pull the carbs apart and clean then and see what the previous owner did. Then I would say go to the stock airbox (tuning seems to be easier with the airbox) and stock jets or 1 step higher as a starting point and adjust from there.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

imcgyver,

Definately not an expert, so can't help much there, but nice to see another Denverite here. Just got my 78 Standard back on the road after 13 years garaged, so always nice to see other people in Denver with the XS.
      ~Manny~

78 XS-1100 Standard
      TC's Fuse Block Mod
      33,000 Miles and Going Strong.

Comment

Welcome to the group! I am from Arvada. I would keep the stock airbox unless you are messin with carb adjustments often.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
        X