X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Frustrating

Ok

The Good!

Replaced the fuse box from TC and it looks great and is not having problems making a connection.
    Rebuilt petcocks and now they no longer leak.
    Bike was Idling rough so I decided to check the air/fuel mixture screws, and someone had turned the 2-4 carbs all the way closed. So I turned tem all to 1 1/2 turns and re-synced. The bike sounds awsome. the best it has sounded since I got the bike 5 months ago.

The Bad!

I had a problem with the carbs leaking even after cleaning them several times. So I replaced the float valve o-rings and it stopped. Cranked the bike every day for a week and no problems. Then the bike sit up for two weeks waitng on the fuse box and petcocks and a family member passing. So yesterday got out there and adjusted the screws(stated in the good) and got the bike running good but now the carbs are LEAKING AGAIN! Also having a little oil inside the air case. Any suggestions
    Brian

1980 xs1100 Special - Work in progress

In-line filters?

B.B.

Had the same issue with my 79F. Rebuilt the carbs with new float needles and seals. I replaced all the fuel lines with vinyl tubing. Mine would be fine for a while and then the carbs would leak.

I placed in-line filters between the petcocks and the inlet tube on the carbs and the problem eventually disappeared. It didn't clear up overnight but they eventually stopped leaking. Now they haven't leaked a drop for two seasons.

I think that even the smallest speck of rust or debris can cause a leak.

Not saying that this is your problem, but it is a cheap fix, if it works!
    1979 F
    Mac 4-2 Exhaust
    T-Kat Fork Brace
    Spade Fuse Box Mod
    Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    140.0 Main Jets
    45.0 Pilot Jets
    266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Kind of Eerie

We have, until this post, and identical number of posts, the same first name, and (at one time) the same problem. Must be some parallel universe thing going on!

Brian
      1979 F
      Mac 4-2 Exhaust
      T-Kat Fork Brace
      Spade Fuse Box Mod
      Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      140.0 Main Jets
      45.0 Pilot Jets
      266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Hey Brian

Great name. and yes I did add in-line fuel filters and all new fuel lines when repaired the petcocks.
        Brian

Comment

Hey Brians, are the carbs leaking when it's running, or when parked?

A little oil in the airbox is OK. Sometimes a little gets in there from the crankcase breather. No big deal unless there's a lot.

If you didn't replace the float valves the viton tips may be a bit hardened from the fuel over the years. They will probably stop leaking if you run the bike for a while and the tips soften back up but I would suggest you replace them.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Sounds to me like leaking fuel tank shutoff valves, be they OE vacuum style or aftermarket manual style. As I've stated on this site before, the best float valves in the world are hard pressed to hold back the weight of as much as 5 gallons of fuel indefinitely.
            Think about it for a minute, why else would the manufacturers of (to my experience) every gravity fed, liquid fueled, internal combustion engine driven machine, include a fuel shutoff at the tank of any sort, vacuum or manual, if the float valves alone were enough to hold back the fuel for an extended period?
            '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by B.B. View Post

Rebuilt petcocks and now they no longer leak.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                Think about it for a minute, why else would the manufacturers of (to my experience) every gravity fed, liquid fueled, internal combustion engine driven machine, include a fuel shutoff at the tank of any sort, vacuum or manual, if the float valves alone were enough to hold back the fuel for an extended period?
                Hi Mike,
                so you can take the tank off without going through the hassle of draining it first? But yeah, a smart guy always turns the gas off anyway.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerMike View Post
                  I've never had it happen to me, but the more safeguards to prevent a full tank of fuel from spilling onto my garage floor overnight if a float sinks, sticks open, fails to seal, etc, the better.

But.. why the hell would Yamaha put the octy on the 82 XJ instead of vacuum petcocks?? (rhetorical question)
                  82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                  Website/Blog

Comment

BB,

If I'm not going to ride for a week or two I close the petcocks and run or drain the gas out of the carb bowls. Lets the float and needle hang out of the needle seat. Not sure why but it seems to have completely stopped my leaking problems. Also, when I refill the carbs I tap each one lightly with a wooden mallet to help with the seal.

Agree with the previous comment about running in the carbs after they have been cleaned. Seems to help everything settle.

One more thing. It's good that the gas is draining out the back of the carbs (into the air filter) rather than out the front (into the engine). Might want to check your oil quick just to make sure none has gone forward.

Good luck,

Aches n Pains
                    1995 KZ100P
                    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                      Hi Mike,
                      so you can take the tank off without going through the hassle of draining it first? But yeah, a smart guy always turns the gas off anyway.
                      Hi Fred, I, myself, don't trust automatic vacuum operated shutoff valves. The ones that were on my 78 when it came into my possesion just refused to stop causing me grief. I replaced them with manual shutoff valves like which I grew up with, and now if I have a flooding or fuel spillage issue when the bike is parked for a while, it's my own damn fault.
                      And no, I don't have to drain the tank to remove it.... so long as I remember to shut off the petcocks first
                      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

will not start

Thanks for all the advice.

Well got the bike out and rode about 2 miles to see if it would stop the fuel leaking. It ran so much better with a lot more power and did not cut out Woohoo. As you may understand my excitement. It was the best ride I have had since I got the bike. Got back home and bragged to my wife. Went back out an hour later, to ride it to the fire department and now it will not crank. It sounds good and is turning over strong but will not start. Not sure what happened. Any help would be great. Thanks
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by B.B. View Post
                          Well got the bike out and rode about 2 miles to see if it would stop the fuel leaking. It ran so much better with a lot more power and did not cut out Woohoo. As you may understand my excitement. It was the best ride I have had since I got the bike. Got back home and bragged to my wife. Went back out an hour later, to ride it to the fire department and now it will not crank. It sounds good and is turning over strong but will not start. Not sure what happened. Any help would be great. Thanks
                          Hi Brian,
                          did you turn the gas taps to OFF when you stopped after the test run?
                          Did you turn them on again?
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes I did and yes they are on again, as well as the kill switch is.
                            Brian

Comment

Yes I did and yes they are on again, as well as the kill switch is.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X