I need a Carb Jet No. clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a Carb Jet No. clarification

Hello everyone. 1st of all just wanted to say what a great and amazing site this is. There's alot of interesting information and many helpful members.
    ....I decided to rebuild my carbs on a 1978e XS11. Broke everything down and started to look and compare jet sizes through some of the fourms and members set ups. I plan to use a #45 pilot jet and #145 main jet on individual pod filters and the current 4-1 exhaust with no baffles (I've taken many pictures of the break down but still trying to figure out how to post them).

On the Yamaha 1978-1981 Clymer Manual Pg.145 it states the specs on the Main Jet No. to be 137.5
    Starter Jet No. 40
    Pilot jet No. 42.5
    Air Jet -main 140
    Air jet - pilot 180

Is the Main Jet No. 137.5 also considered the Emulsion tube, because I have not seen this number on any of the jets?

The air jet -pilot is listed at 180. On Clymer (Pg 147) #35. is the Air Pilot Jet. Located in front of the carbs where the pod filters would be attached. The numbers on the air jet on mine is 210from PO. Should I replace the jet back to 180?
    Bike won't idle and takes a while to start. Brand new plugs with only 2 minuets of running time turned to the tips becoming completely lean (white) and burnt (powdery black) around the ceramic part of the plugs. Then again, I used starting fluid to start it.

All of the other jet no.'s match.

Hey Wicked,
    That's another typo in the Clymer manual, they fail to mention it in the listing. In the diagram the 'emulsion tube", known in the Yamaha diagram as the main nozzle, is #17 and it's held in place by the main jet. Yet it comes out the diaphragm side after you unscrew the main jet. There's also a thick washer in there between them, don't lose it.
    Look here for a clearer picture:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Thanks Cobia. Got all of them out. So if i wanted to increase the flow I would replace the screw on top of the emulision tube that has 140 printed on it to 145?

Comment

The '78s were jetted different and the clymer never really care to note that in their book. Stock '78 jetting was 45 pilot, 137.5 main, and a 210 air jet.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks Natemoen. It's all clear now. Will the plastic flaots for 80-81 work in replacement for my 78 copper floats?

Comment

Yes they will work, I have floats from a '81s carbs in mine.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Just to verify. I have the clymer manual, and a 78. Yes the clymer says it has 42.5 pilots, it does not; they are 45's. It is correct however in regard to the stated 137.5 mains.
              I also have switched up to the 145 mains with pod filters and stacks, with custom 4 into 2 exhaust, and am very pleased with the results.
              '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Seems my 79 had 78 carbs because it has 210 airhets as well but it had 140 mains and what ever the stock size 78 pilots were I for got. . I have zrx carbs now. I love them but hate they are harder to adjust the idle mix screw. Rge older ones were east with the exposed screw
                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                X