Mechanical Advance Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Advance Differences

This comes up from time to time, so here's a 'illustrated' identifier...

[IMG][/IMG]

From left to right, you have 78, 79, and 80 advance units. At a glance, they look the same, but there's important differences. Some parts are the same though, and I'll point those out. Each one has a different 'curve', so there's a very real performance difference and this may be important depending on the motor you install it on and what initial timing number you use. Ok, the differences....

The 78 unit offers 26 degrees of advance, starting at 2150 rpm and it's all in at 4750 rpm, for a 'range' of 2600 rpm. The slots in the reluctor are .515"/.530" long; this is what determines total advance. The springs have 13 coils, and a wire diameter of .033". Remember that the 78 uses 10 degrees of initial timing for a total of 36 degrees @ 4750 rpm.

The 79 unit has 31 degrees, starting at 1800 rpm and it's all in at 5400 rpm, for a range of 3600 rpm. The slots in the reluctor are .565"/.585", and the springs have 15 coils with the same wire diameter as the 78 bits. Initial timing is retarded to 5 degrees, but you have the same total of 36 degrees, although at a higher rpm (5400).

The 80 unit also has 31 degrees (OK, the manual says 30), also starting at 1800 rpm but this is all in by 3900 rpm, for a 2100 rpm range. The slots on the reluctor are the same as the 79 unit, but the springs are lighter; 14 coils with a wire diameter of .028". Again, the same initial 5 degrees and total timing of 36 degrees, but all in at only 3900 rpm.

As far as I can tell, the weights used are all the same (as are the 'bases'), with the differences being in the slots/springs. While the bases appear the same, they do have different numbers stamped into them...

[IMG][/IMG]

It may be hard to see, but the 78 has 2H7-10/AD126-01 on it, the 79 has 2H7-11/AD131-01, the 80 has 3H5-10/131-02.

So, what's all this mean? Well, from my hot rod days, it was desirable to get your mechanical advance in as quickly as possible for the best power; remember the 'recurve kits' for distributors? But you had to be careful not to have too much advance or you risked detonation. The more initial advance you could run also helped off-idle power. So it appears that Yamaha put a fairly aggressive curve in the 78 models, then detuned the 79s a bit. They further detuned the motors in 80 (slightly less compression, milder cams) but tried to restore some of the lost power with a more aggressive curve. So, which one do you use if you're running a non-stock combo or are looking for more power? Well, if you're running the early cams, the 78 unit will give the best results, mainly because you can use 10 degrees initial timing. The 80 unit has possibilities too, particularly if you use a 78 reluctor or shorten the slots to match the early part. It may be too aggressive though, so be sure and watch/listen for pinging. Another thing to remember is these motors were designed to run on 'regular' grade fuel, so if you step up to premium you should be able to run more timing.

Anyway, something to think about for the more adventurous among us...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Octane adjustment

Thanks, Steve!

The vacuum advance pots all have different advance curves and limits for different year/models too but, as Ivan discovered, they can be adjusted by removing the epoxy plug on the end of the vacuum can. It's a little finicky but it does work and you can dial in the vacuum advance for the octane rating of the fuel you're using.

Oops, I see you already mentioned vacuum advance in Greg's thread.
    Last edited by 3Phase; 10-01-2011, 01:58 PM. Reason: Didn't read fast enough
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

IIRC back when these bikes were new wasn't "regular" gas right at 89 or 90 octane depending where you bought your gas?? I remember puting 91-92 in the 327 65 Impala. There was even a station across town where you could get 104, if you wanted to pay a buck a gallon for it...The good old days.
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
        IIRC back when these bikes were new wasn't "regular" gas right at 89 or 90 octane depending where you bought your gas?? I remember puting 91-92 in the 327 65 Impala. There was even a station across town where you could get 104, if you wanted to pay a buck a gallon for it...The good old days.
        It's measured differently now, so it's hard to make a direct 'a to b' comparison. The factory called out 91 RON (research octane number) fuel, i.e. regular in most places, but nowadays it's an 'averaged' number gotten by adding RON and MON (motor octane number, always lower) together then dividing by two. Regular is still pretty much regular, although you'll have regional/brand differences that may require you to use a 'mid-grade' for best results. I know locally the 'major' brands were all right around 91-92 RON for regular, 'ethyl' was 96-97, and Chevron 'White Pump' was 101+ (generally about a $.10 per gallon premium over regular) back in the day. The 104 stuff was race gas, and you paid for that...

I put current Chevron 'regular' in the SG after I got it running, and had no issues with pinging...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hmm, Al wants his heimer back but I dimly remember there was some overlap between gas stations and grades. Regular was 88 to 94 at the pump; Mid-grade was 94 to 98; Premium was 98 to 106. Anything below 90 I wouldn't put in my neighbor's lawn mower

There was some 108 and higher, too. Splash a little of that stuff on the light point of your tire and it would be balanced when the gas evaporated!
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

This is very interesting. Ill have to look at mine. I have 2 79s both built in 78. My daily rider was built April 78 sand is number 491 the other is 7000 something and built in July. It cane with odd jet suzes. 140 mains, same size pilot as the 78 and a. 210 airjet.
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Ok... so theoreticaly lets say I plug my vacuum advance Jose back in with the restructir. I have zrx carbs. This pulls the vacation open at idle. When I had it like this I had to have the mixture screws way outfit it to run. And I never had any pinging. So this was giving me full advance at idle right?
              " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
              8mm msd wires
              tkat fork brace...
              Fox shocks...
              mikes650 front fender
              led's gallore...
              renthal bars
              gold valve emulators
              vmax tensioner
              Rifle fairing

Comment

And full advance at idle is what you DON'T want. That's why you need a restricted port that picks up right around the same spot as does the stock carbs, right around the butterfly valve, in such a spot that at idle it's gettting pretty much zero vacuum but get vacuum just a slight bit off idle. I forget who it was who found where you drill in on the ZRX carbs to put the vacuum barb, but there is a spot setup to drill in the casting already, you just have to get it in the right spot and angle. If done right, it should increase the fuel economy with those carbs even more, and still keep good driveability.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ok without dismantaling it further I pulled the side cover and in the very bottom the numbers 2h7 10 are visable. On the top side you can see pu286-01. I know this isn't the part in the photo butits on the advance so most Likly I have the 78 advance. I will check my July78 issued 79 tomorrow. But as if April 78 the 79 models come with 78 advancers... no wonder this thing is such a beast! U was told rhw irhee day by an 80 owner that me and a guy on a triumph sprint took off like we were on a slung shot! We launched up hill on the cherohala skyway pullind away from an st1100 honda and an 80 standard... we got to the end and waited awhile on everyone else! It was an awesome ride! Even blew by a cbx. What a rush that run was. Let's just say the other standard guy said he got up to ~$%mph and we were still pulling away and they couldn't keep up!

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
                    Ok without dismantaling it further I pulled the side cover and in the very bottom the numbers 2h7 10 are visable. On the top side you can see pu286-01. I know this isn't the part in the photo butits on the advance so most Likly I have the 78 advance. I will check my July78 issued 79 tomorrow. But as if April 78 the 79 models come with 78 advancers... no wonder this thing is such a beast! U was told rhw irhee day by an 80 owner that me and a guy on a triumph sprint took off like we were on a slung shot! We launched up hill on the cherohala skyway pullind away from an st1100 honda and an 80 standard... we got to the end and waited awhile on everyone else! It was an awesome ride! Even blew by a cbx. What a rush that run was. Let's just say the other standard guy said he got up to ~$%mph and we were still pulling away and they couldn't keep up!
                    Since the ONLY differences between the 78 and 79's were IIRC the timing advance curve and the carb jetting, having 78 advance components and 78 jets would make it a 78 for performance purposes. An 80 wouldn't stand a slight chance even with the hotter advance curve and larger valves because of the lower compression, cause the two just don't make up for the lower compression, plus the cams are I think different on the 80, not as hot. But the cams are supposed to be the same between the 78 and 79.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I was averaging 6k-7k rpms on the dragon and he'll Bender and I was getting about 45 MPG. Mark (Lew) said he was getting about the same mileage with but I think he said he was running 3500 rpms.

79 xs11 standard
                      8mm msd wires
                      tkat fork brace...
                      Fox shocks...
                      mikes650 front fender
                      led's gallore...
                      renthal bars
                      gold valve emulators
                      vmax tensioner
                      Rifle fairing

Comment

Oops double post.... stupid Droid!

79 xs11 standard
                        8mm msd wires
                        tkat fork brace...
                        Fox shocks...
                        mikes650 front fender
                        led's gallore...
                        renthal bars
                        gold valve emulators
                        vmax tensioner
                        Rifle fairing

Comment

Mechanical advance function?

Sorry to ask this.

I see the vacuum advance rotating the pick up coils but I cannot see the function of the mechanical part.

Is it to return the coils back?

TIA
                          Rick
                          XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                          http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                          650SF
                          http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                          XS1100SG Project bike
                          http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Rickrod3 View Post
                            Sorry to ask this.

I see the vacuum advance rotating the pick up coils but I cannot see the function of the mechanical part.

Is it to return the coils back?

TIA
                            Rick
                            The mechanical part moves the reluctor on the spinning shaft changing it's position in relation to TDC therefore changing the timing on the fly as it does so. The vacuum parts move the pickup coils one way to advance the timing, and the centripetal advance parts move the reluctor in the opposite direction more and more as RPM's increase until the max advance is reached.
                            Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            750 FD Mod
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                              The mechanical part moves the reluctor on the spinning shaft changing it's position in relation to TDC therefore changing the timing on the fly as it does so. The vacuum parts move the pickup coils one way to advance the timing, and the centripetal advance parts move the reluctor in the opposite direction more and more as RPM's increase until the max advance is reached.

I would like the definition of THAT word Cy. Maybe a real word but I've never heard it.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X