Tank swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank swap

I am about to do a tank swap (re-swap) and am drawing somewhat of a blank.
    On my 1980 SG:
    Several years ago I removed the octipus and swapped my tank with one from a Standard. I was just looking for extra fuel capacity for a long ride/camping trip.
    Well, now seven or eight years down the road, I am trying to recall exactly what I had to do, so that I can un-do it.
    I know that I had to remove the frame reflectors, slightly modify how the seat mounts, and re-plumb the standard petcocks. I added two inline fuel filters.
    Now when I put the Special tank back on, will I be able to use the Standard petcocks on the Special tank, or will I have to go back to the debate about the octipus vs, always remembering to turn-off the petcocks?
    I am trying to avoid buying an aftermarket petcock set. I'd like to use one of the stock sets.
    TIA
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Originally posted by newmaac View Post
    ...Now when I put the Special tank back on, will I be able to use the Standard petcocks on the Special tank, or will I have to go back to the debate about the octipus vs, always remembering to turn-off the petcocks?
    Unfortunately, you have to go back to the 'Special' petcocks as the standard units don't fit the Special tank

Whether or not you refit the octy is up to you...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by newmaac View Post
      - - - when I put the Special tank back on, will I be able to use the Standard petcocks on the Special tank, or will I have to go back to the debate about the octipus vs, always remembering to turn-off the petcocks? - - -
      Hi Mike,
      like Steve sez, Standard taps don't fit a Special tank so you need a Special tank complete with filler cap and taps.
      If you put the Special's sender into your Standard tank you can salvage it to go in the Special tank; otherwise be sure the Special tank has one.
      But why would you want to give up the extra fuel capacity?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I've always liked the look of the Special.
        Even tho the mileage range sucks, I thought that I'd change it back for a while.
        My work commute is only 14 miles each way, and I rarely do any distances anymore.
        I just finished repainting the Special tank. (waiting for it to cure a while before I give it a final polish)
        I lost my badges, so I have a set coming from Andreas.

I will keep the Standard tank handy. I used to go M/C camping with a few buddies on an annual basis. I hope that it will be an option again in the near future.
        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Working...
        X