Valve Shims & a 'tink, tink, tink' sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Shims & a 'tink, tink, tink' sound

Okay, I know some of you are going to cringe, but I've got a slight 'tink, tink, tink' coming from my bike. It's most noticable at startup, and by the end of the ride (~30-45mins) it's almost not noticable.
    So, recently I've put a new piston in #4 and new rings on all four.
    I've got about 200 miles on them now, so the rings should be broken in just fine.
    A while back I did some valve clearance measurments and my tightest one was at 0.1mm on one of the intake valves. (Spec is 0.16 to 0.2)
    So, my question is, if the clearance is tighter, then the valve opens a little sooner and just a little bit more.
    So, could my intake valve be tapping the top of my piston on the intake stroke?
    I thought the crecent cutouts in the top of the pistons were there so the valve wouldn't hit.
    Yesterday, I checked my compression and I got 160, 155, 150 & 140, so thats only 7% off the average of 151.
    This weekend I plan on lifting the valve cover and checking the timing marks and adjusting the tensioner. (plus rechecking the torques on all the bolts from my mini overhaul)
    While I'm in there, I'm going to remeasure the valve clearances again so I can figure out what shims I need. (looks like I might be able to reuse 3-4 of them)
    I developed an excel spreadsheet that will do the calculations instead of using that crappy table in the service manual. If any of you want a copy, just send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

ps. When I pulled the plugs yesterday for the compression test, they were all grey/whiteish (ashy almost). So, I figure that means they're a little lean. I'll probably ease the idle mix screws out 1/2 turn.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

It does sound like your running a tad lean from what you say of the plugs.

The tink,tink could be an exhaust leak at the haed.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

+1

Yeah, if a valve was tapping a piston, that cylinder would have 0 compression.

I have the same tink, tink and I'm of the opinion that it is an exhaust leak also, just can't find it
      Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

An exhuast leak makes a little bit of sense, I had the pipes off during the overhaul. I did notice that one of the header pipes has an almost rust thru hole, plus I didn't have any new exhaust gaskets, just reused the old ones.
        I thought that because the sound is more metalic sounding than a gas 'poof' sound that it was mechanical in nature.
        I suppose I could try spraying some water mist around the pipes and see which way the wind blows so to speak.

Thanks for the info on the too lean thing. I'll try to post up a pic of the plugs this afternoon/evening.

The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.

Scarlet
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
          +1
          I have the same tink, tink and I'm of the opinion that it is an exhaust leak also, just can't find it
          The Mac 4 into 2 I have on mine has a bit of a resonating echo in the single wall pipes that is a little more noticable when cold also.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I think my leak is on the pipe at the weld between the flange and the pipe. It's the only thing that makes any sense. Although, i never think to check when i have the pipes off cause it's usaully in the middle of winter and the noise is a distant memory.

I thought it was a loose valve shim when I first heard it (2009), but the shims checked out OK. The noise is audible when it's really hot, like after an hour of summer highway riding.

Comment

I seem to remember someone posting a while back, a long while back, about an inner pipe rattling on a stock double wall system when cold also.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

This is not a rattle it's a precise half-engine-speed tink. Which is what made me first thing it was valve-related.

Comment

I agree, but I don't know what the frequency of the tink tink is, it could be at the same rpm, half, or even double. I'll pay more attention next time I run it.
                  Here's a pic of my plugs. The lighting was a little off. (late in the afternoon), but you can see the greyness of the sooty type ash.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/...gloweva/plugs/
                  Last edited by GLoweVA; 09-28-2011, 03:51 PM. Reason: add link for photo

The Green Monster
                  Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

The Metal Tink sound is often the sound of the valves closing shut, is more audible since it can travel thru the hole/leak. It's rarely a swoosh or puff kind of sound. Having to reuse your exhaust gaskets is most likely the culprit, they are made of corrugated/layered aluminum, and are like crush washers, but once they have been there for some time, under compression, and the exhaust heat, there's not much compressibility/sealing room/range left in them. A set of 4 are like $12.00 on PNM and such.

Your fourth plug....last one on the right....the center electrode looks more rounded off than the others as well. That film appearance on the outside of the electrode and such doesn't look right either.....but could be partially due to the engine/rings not being totally broken in/sealing??

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yeah, a couple of those look pretty worn. Put a new set in and recheck.

The color looks a little light but that might just be the picture. Light tan is what your looking for.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Those plugs have been in the bike for years. If you look closely, you can see all the rust around them. I don't have any issues with the socket grabbing them.
                        I plan on getting some new ones this weekend and putting them in. I might do the side gap mod on them next, next weekend. I want to see what the mileage on the new ones are first, so I can get a comparision.

Thanks TC, I'll get some new ehaust gaskets on order ASAP.

The Green Monster
                        Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                        Got her in '11
                        Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                        Cold weather ride

Comment

Update on TInk noise

I started her up one day and bent down to find the 'leak'
                          Sure 'nuf there she was right on #3 near the bend where the pipe goes under the bike.
                          Stuck my ear up next to it and heard the tink/puft noise right from that hole.

So, next step (besides getting new pipes) is to wrap them old ugly disgusting rusty pipes with the exhaust wrap stuff from the auto parts store.
                          Sure it's not pretty, but it'll look a whole lot better than the rusty holey things i got now.

The Green Monster
                          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

That wrap will NOT plug the hole and will speed the rusting process.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You will need to get that welded or get a new set of pipes. JB Weld is not gonna be yer friend either. Real weld!

Comment

Working...
                              X