Carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb issues

I have a '78 that idles fine, but stutters through mid throttle until gapped open. Any ideas? I bought a rebuild kit and I'm going to soak the carbs. They were apparently serviced 3 or 4 years ago but the bike sat for almost a year in a storage shed prior to my buying it. I'll re-post my success or failure with the rebuild kit.

1978 XS1100E

Dyna Coils
    K&N Filter
    16'' Rear Wheel
    4-1 Exhaust
    Kerker Muffler
    Firestone Deluxe Champion Tires
    Custom Seat and Fender

Failure in the making unless your using known Genuine Mikuni jets........
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If you soak the entire carbs, don't dip in a caustic solution or rubber parts (throttle shaft seals) may be damaged. Yamaha makes a safe carb dip and Pinesol works too.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...b+cleaning+101
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Sounds like you've got some dirty pilot jets and possibly some crap in around the emulsion tubes. I would get some bowl gaskets and take everyting out (jets, pilots, emulsion tubes) and clean it up real well.

If the parts in there are right that should clear it up. You'll need to re sync the carbs.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
        X