Standard Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Tank Question

I have a 1980 XS1100 G Standard and it has a specialized tank on it, but I want to put the original back on it. I noticed that there's a "nipple" or something coming from the tank that the seat covers. Does anyone know what this connects too? My other tank just has the 4 outlets from the petcocks, but this seems to have 4 from the petcocks and the one coming directly from the tank. It confuses me.

That nipple on the standard tank near the bottom (where the seat is) is the overflow drain from around the filler neck/cap. So when the tank sloshes around and the cap leaks by a little, or you over fill it at the pump, the filler/cap cavity has somewhere to drain to.
    There's a hose that runs down next to the battery vent line towards the underside of the bike. But if your bike had a different tank then this hose is probably gone. Just get some same size diameter tubing and that will work. Normally this doesn't see any gas unless you have an overflow condition at the gas cap area.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Water drain from under the cap?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Water Drain... sure, but not from under the gas cap, just the big metal cover that holds the cap. That whole recessed area can collect rain water and needs somewhere to drain to.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Just to clarify. That nipple on the back of the tank is intended primarily as a water drain. It will drain gas out if you overfill and it leaks into that depressed area the cap is in also, but it's primarily for rain or when you wash the bike, since that area will fill up with water otherwise.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You don't want gas on your seat or on your crotch! If you fill your tank too full when the engine is hot, that is where it will go. The hose should route down to about the sidestand pivot area.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You guys are awesome and masters at your craft. Thanks for the info. I'll route a line away from the engine and my crotch Much thanks!

Comment

[QUOTE=monhollenj;342204 I'll route a line away from the engine and my crotch Much thanks![/QUOTE]

Very good idea
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

XS11 - The original crotch rocket!
                  When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Working...
                  X