XJ11 instrument cluster light replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 instrument cluster light replacement

Last night the one remaining tach light went out and I also can't see the LCD display in the dark, so either it was getting it's back light from the tach bulb that died or there's a dedicated bulb for the LCD that also died.

I need to get in there and replace the bulbs. I haven't been into the cluster before and wonder if there's any caveats I should know about or if there's any helpful advice to it? It looks like I have to remove the headlight to have access to the bolts holding the cluster on & to get to the screws on the back that hold the cluster together.

Thanks
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Instrument cluster lights

Not a big deal at all. Recently, I went in and replaced all with LED's and made a huge difference. Let me know if I can help.
    Jamie

Comment

Hi Jamie,

What kind of LED did you choose? white or colored? One person suggested red as he went to as it was less bothersome at night but I didn't too much care for the redness I saw in the photograph.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

I have not been in mine for a bit, but recall it was not to bad.

I did not have to remove the headlight. Couple nuts that go through rubber isolators, speedo cable, and a couple sets of wire loom connectors and the cluster comes off. I used a 1/4 inch socket set to remove the nuts, moved up to ratcheting end wrenches (GearWrench) which makes the job easier. There is a back-side plastic cover that comes off with a couple screws. Memorize or take a photo of how the cables are tucked into the shell, it will help you put the back cover back on.

Once the cover is off it is easy to replace the stock bulbs. Then put everything back together.

Really, this is not hard and there are no "gatchas" if you remember where / how the wires are tucked into the shell. If you don't, it will take a few trial-and-error tries to figure it out.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
        X