XJ11 front MC rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ11 front MC rebuild

I posted this yesterday but in the wrong forum...

I have a failing front MC on the XJ11 where if I hold the brake, the handle gives way & keeps doing so till the handle touches the grip. When I release it all is well unless I give it slow sustained pressure again.

I looked here http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partview...J1100J_-_1982)

and found I needed Part Number: 4H7-W0041-00-00

I bought the OEM bag of parts but looking at the drawing above, I really can't discern what is supposed to fit which way. I suspect when I take the MC apart I'll have liquid rubber in there & nothing much to work from to reassemble.

Does anyone know of an photograph of a XJ11 MC parts in order so I can review before jumping in & finding I put it together bass ackward?

Thanks
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

There's a better diagram on Boats.net.
    In general, the rubber cups will face inward. I don't think the parts that are in ther now will be dissolved, you'll be able to figure it out once you see how they're oriented.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
      Does anyone know of an photograph of a XJ11 MC parts in order so I can review before jumping in & finding I put it together bass ackward?

Thanks
      Yep, here's the front MC diagram from the XJ1100 FSM....

2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the links & advice. I did the deed today, needed to get it done before cosmetic kinds of things and all went well. As with so much with this bike, some idiot before me had no clue what to do and left things badly/half done. Apparently the MC was entered by an unknowing/uncaring warm body sometime in the past...

And how do I know this? The "keeper" was only in place by a hair, most of the keeper was out of it's retaining slot. Unrelated, the rubber components were in tatters. Still not sure exactly what specifically had failed but replacing everything did get the front R. brake back to what I think is proper.

Nice! One winter objective is outta the way!
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Working...
        X