Ignition Switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Switch question

I replaced my ignition switch with a new unit that I bought on eBay (obviously my first mistake). It was said to be for an XS1100, but there is a problem. I have no tail light now.

My question is this. Will I create any problems if I splice the blue wire to the tan wire so I have a tail light?

I've learned the hard way that sometimes a simple solution has unintended consequences.
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
    2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
    1971 Kawasaki F6 125

I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but I believe that the running lights and gage lights are fused via the blue wire. I think you defeat the fuse that way. Those blue wires are probably the most susceptabile foor shorts to ground.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The '78-79 bikes used a different switch from the '80-81 models; the later switches had a red/yellow that is 'hot' all the time and is for the hazard flashers. You should have (on either type switch) a red/input power, a brown/to the fuse panel, and a blue/taillight power. If the colors don't match, check to see which wires are 'hot' at which key positions; at off, you shouldn't have continuity between any wires (except maybe between the red and a fourth wire, which would be hazard). Turn the key to 'on', and you should have continuity between all wires. Turn the key to 'park' (if the switch has this position), and you should only have continuity between the red and one other wire (normally blue), this should be used for the taillight.

There is no separate fuse for the taillight on the '78-79 bikes, that circuit is protected by the 30 amp main....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I spiced from the tan to blue wire and now have a tail light. I saw no negative consequences, so all is good. Thanks for the help guys.
        2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
        2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
        1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Comment

Working...
        X