Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this sound like a clogged pilot jet to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a heads up...Be careful any time you are cleaning jets with a guitar string or similar. The wire end may be sharp from cutting with side cutters. It can scratch the inside of the soft brass jet where the fuel sprays thru and cause an uneven spray. Take a sec. and file the end of the wire smooth first.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Just a heads up...Be careful any time you are cleaning jets with a guitar string or similar. The wire end may be sharp from cutting with side cutters. It can scratch the inside of the soft brass jet where the fuel sprays thru and cause an uneven spray. Take a sec. and file the end of the wire smooth first.

Thanks for the tip!

I ordered those carb kits and hopefully they'll come Saturday (I selected USPS Priority Mail). I guess in the mean time I can try to get these idle screw tips out of the carbs.
      1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

Comment

Yep, those broken tips can be a pain, do a search for broken mixture screw, there are several different methods for removal, drilling is a last resort.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Yep, those broken tips can be a pain, do a search for broken mixture screw, there are several different methods for removal, drilling is a last resort.

Until I read about how hard it was I just looked at the carbs and thought "Oh that won't be bad, I'll just push them out!" I haven't tried yet but after reading all the posts about it now I'm kind of worried.

Comment

Well I tried everything I could think of to get the broken tips out and ended up drilling them. I tried all the tricks in the tech section and even tried freezing the carbs. I think I mashed the tip so that it was bigger than the hole and it probably never would come out.

I was surprised at how easy they drilled out. Chucked a 1/16" bit (smallest I had) in my Dremel, made sure it was straight and turned it on the slowest speed then the next to slowest. It went through really easy... so easy that it wasn't a problem with the bit not going in striaght because it followed the old hole exactly. Kind of felt like I must not have had a big chunk stuck in those 2 holes because there was almost no resistance at all. When I saw the bit sinking it (it only took like 2 seconds even with light pressure) I thought I didn't chuck it tight enough and it was sinking in the Dremel but it was really going through the hole.

Oh well, now I guess I"ll have to tinker a little with the new needles but I'm just glad I god the old ones out. Full carb kits are coming Monday.. can't wait.

Comment

drill size?

Hi,

I am thinking that the hole is machined by yamaha to be one mm, a one sixteenth drill is about one and a half mm, so if my memory about the size of the original hole is correct you will need to put the new screws in deeper than if the hole was left at the original size. It should be easy to adjust differently for those two carbs. I think its fred in toon that has done this before, maybe he can confirm or not , my memory of what that hole size is originally.
              Last edited by yamtom; 09-26-2011, 09:56 PM. Reason: forgot some of my words
              Bikes Now.
              80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
              79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
              83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
              83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
              08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Yes, I'm hoping I can just adjust those 2 screws a little different and it won't be a big problem.

I never could figure out why my bike was running lean too but realized today when I pulled the slides out that the jet needle wasn't set on the center clip, it was set one step lean. When I first got the bike the idiot PO had jetted it as an 80 so instead of 137.5's it had the 110 and 115's in the carbs. I went straight to 140 because it has the 4-1 exhaust. Now I'm going to go back to the center setting on those needles too.

Comment

Just wanted to update the thread in case anyone is searching with the same problems.

I rebuilt the carbs, drilled out the 2 broken mixture needle tips (1/16" bit) and found that my needle jets were set 1 step towards lean and that one of those holes in the float bowls (that you guys mentioned will shoot you back in the face when you spray cleaner in there) was completely clogged.

I slapped the carbs back on the bike over the weekend and when it started I knew something was different. Instead of flopping around really sloppy, the motor just kind of purred. I took it for a ride and instead of having to keep gassing the throttle and slipping the clutch to get it to pull out I just pulled out like normal from my drive and gassed it -- WOW! It squatted down and instantly, without the normal "bogggggg" took off hard and fast. It ran amazing all the way through the power band. I *thought* the bike had good top end before and all my problems were idle-3000rpm but with the jet needles set back to stock I now realize how much top end power this thing has too. It's downright scary! I traded a 99 Honda CBR 600cc supersport for this bike and I can say that surprisingly, this 32yo air cooled cruiser feels even faster than my 600. Surely not on top speed but thanks to the low end torque of the 1100 its much funner to ride than my 600.

And with the unknown brand 4-1 header on the bike it sounds awesome too! Thanks so much for helping me with the bike guys. Even though I was underdressed and freezing I still rode it for an hour straight and didn't want to go home. There is probably some fine tuning with the idle mixture needles to make it even smoother but right it runs great. I was almost scared to go WOT in 1st or 2nd before it felt like I was either going to come off the bike or the front wheel was going to lift off the ground a little.

Now I just need to get my tachometer working and then do some cosmetic stuff to the bike. I think I'm going to need another tach but I'm not sure how bad my luck could be that my original didn't work, then the one I bought from a member here didn't work, and would need a 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                  X