My winter checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My winter checklist

Just want to toss this out there. Here's what Beastly will experience this winter:
    -Progressive springs up front
    -TKat fork brace (just arrived in the mail)
    -New rear shocks
    -Lightweight Shorai battery
    -Custom seat pan and seat (I'm making the pan out of fiberglass)
    -New wheel bearings and steering head bearings
    -Rechrome fenders
    -Custom paint job
    -Powder coat various items
    -Dunlop Elite 3 tires
    -SS brake lines
    -If time and abilitly allows - oil cooler
    -A bunch of other things, I'm sure!

You guys have any plans??
    Last edited by 11Rider; 09-18-2011, 05:55 PM.
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post

You guys have any plans??
    Yeah. Oil change to switch back to winter oil, add the lowers back on the fairing, and keep riding! I just switched to my non-mesh jacket (may go back and forth as the weather settles), but as long as the roads aren't icy, I'll be riding.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

That's great Bug - you actually ride. With my bad back I'm finding more and more enjoyment just tinkering with Beastly since riding is sometimes out of the question.
      '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

I've got corrective things to do, things like:

figure out why the flashers only work on the right side
        replace the O-rings at the butterfly shafts on the carbs
        check shims, seems like the right side of the upper engine is nosier than the left.
        Touch up the paint & repaint the sides of the airbox & where battery acid led to rust (The AGM battery I put in it stopped that process)
        trying to restore the color on the tank with jewelers rouge
        POR-15 the tank
        fix the temperamental gas level sensor
        Make support frames for the inside of the leather saddlebags
        Figure out how to make a tool to easily access the balancing screws on the carburetor as I like to keep the sync as perfect as possible.
        Although it is running fine now, maybe replace the octy for something simpler.
        replace all the vacuum & fuel tubing
        add external fuel filters
        figure out how to attach running lights to the front turn signals proper sockets, bulbs and wires are already in there, the running lights are just not connected.
        Install one of those obscenely loud air horns to replace the POS on it now.
        May install an Oil cooler
        Royal Purple gear oil for the rear & diff
        grease the rear splines
        choose new tires and mount them
        Add dyna beads to balance
        Restore the Vetter 5 & if I find a proper lower (have one, need the other), retouch that to match.
        Adjust the handlebars so they fit me the best possible way.
        May rejet with dynojet kit stage 1

And more when I come to it...
        Last edited by KA1J; 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM.
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Quite a list there KA1J. If you come across a good horn, please post about it. The horn is on my list too and thanks for the reminder on the splines.

Comment

Working...
          X