Any suggestions on rear shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions on rear shocks?

Hi guys, Beastly came with a nice looking set of Progressive shocks but they are non adjustable and the compression damping seems to be way to high. Is there any consensus on a good set of shocks are and preferably adjustable? Thanks guys
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

What are u looking for style wise? looking more for a stock look with modern tech? or an agressive look with the same tech. i had a set identical to these on my ol gs500 and loved them....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/13-3-...item2a0c50cb25
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Very nice looking shock, but probably a bit too agressive for my style. I think I need something a little more traditional looking. BTW, does anyone know offf the top of their head what the proper length shock is for the 11 Special? I seem to remember it's 11.5".
      '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

yes i beleave 11.5 is correct
        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
        1980 gs1000g "stock"
        1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
        2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

IIRC, stock shock length is 12 5/8" eye to eye. If you want low compression damping for comfort ride get some factory shocks, the Honda Shadow ones seem to fit right on and are pretty good...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=showa+shocks
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Give these folks a call and see if they have an economical option. You won't find it on the website.

www.traxxion.com
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll look into the factory shocks and traxxion. You guys are awesome!

Comment

Before you toss those Progressive shocks, check to see what springs are fitted. Progressive is notorious for recommending too-heavy springs to buyers, so installing a set of 'standard' springs may be all they need.

Shorter 'lowering' shocks are also noted for a hard ride, so if ride quality is important stick with the stock 12.625" eye-to-eye length...
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Good thinking Steve. However I must say that the springs seem to be pretty soft. Not scientific, but just by pushing down on the seat or sitting on it the spring seems soft, but hitting a sharp edge at speed gives one a good jolt. To me that would seem to indicate the compression damping being too much. BTW, mine are 11.5 eye to eye so they may be the harsher lowering shocks you speak of.
                  Last edited by 11Rider; 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I believe the laden sag should be 35 mm or maybe just a bit more. Put the bike on the center stand. Measure the end of the swingarm to a point directly above on the frame. Take the bike off the stand and measure again. (you'll need help with that) The difference should be 35 mm or so. I don't think you want less.

I find the progressive spring to be very harsh when the sag is correct. The alternative is dragging hard parts in the corners. For me, the preference is a straight rate spring. Some vendors can give you the correct spring by knowing your weight and the bike you have. FWIW, my Progressive springs are 140/200 rate. I'm 235 lbs and often two-up. Stock length shocks.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

JAT, I've run into some shocks before (S&W's) that were internally binding, I only found that out after taking the spring off and compressing manually, they would get stuck.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
                        Good thinking Steve. However I must say that the springs seem to be pretty soft. Not scientific, but just by pushing down on the seat or sitting on it the spring seems soft, but hitting a sharp edge at speed gives one a good jolt. To me that would seem to indicate the compression damping being too much. BTW, mine are 11.5 eye to eye so they may be the harsher lowering shocks you speak of.
                        They're probably bottoming out; the 'lowering' shocks are known for this. And I doubt if these are the correct shocks for the bike, more likely these are a set of Harley shocks and may be too lightly sprung for the XS weight. Have you tried cranking the spring preload up? Progressive shocks offer 5 settings, and if they're set on full soft that may be the problem.

Progressive shocks have pretty good compression/rebound damping, but the spring rate has to be right for it to work properly...
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I didn't fiddle with the preload but after pricing new shocksI think I will!

Comment

I'm running XJ air shocks on my bagger. 40# @ 3 damp. Just did a 1250 mile road trip, carrying tent, sleeping bag, air mat, boxes loaded. On some bad roads. Never bottomed once. At home running empty, the bike rides nicer than it ever has. Got my shocks off eBay for $35. You'll need to fill them to 3" below the inlet with 5 wt fork oil.
                            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

+1 on the Honda Shadow shocks from Showa. Find them on ebay and never look back.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                              X