No announcement yet.

baffle pushed in and cant get it out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baffle pushed in and cant get it out...

so i decided to put my shocks and my 4-1 on to the judge. problem is that the baffle is pushed in and sounds like a rattle can of paint. any ideas how to get it out nd if mac sells a replacable baffle...on another noth the 11 sounds way better with a 4-1. really brings out the superbike side of it.
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Make a slide hammer from a piece of all thread rod and a nut and it will pop right out.

If you want it to sound great and run great too you can use your old baffle to make a better one. First, measure everything on the old baffle, especially the length. Get a piece of 1 5/8" tubing and drill several 1/4" or 5/16" cross holes through it. Drill enough to make it look like swiss cheese. Then take the stock baffle and cut the the staggered portion off from the back end plate leaving about 1" of the original tube on the plate. Then weld or braise the new pipe onto the stub left on the rear plate. Do the same thing with the front plate, keeping the original length though it will be a bit more work than the back plate was. Get some exhaust insulation and give a few wraps around the new pipe and install. Rattle will be gone and sound will be excellent. Flow should be up a bit since you are now straight through so jetting MIGHT be affected.

Did this a long time ago with mine and no regrest at all.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

should i weld it to an end of one of my vise grips?
      _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
      1980 gs1000g "stock"
      1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
      2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

You mean weld the all thread to the vise grips? No, just spin a small nut onto the end of the all thread and push it into the baffle until it drops over the edge of the pipe inside. Then use something that will work as a slide weight over the end sticking out of the baffle. Use it like one of those slide hammers they use to take dents out of a car fender. The baffle will pop right out.

I dont have a pic since this is not really a 'special tool' but more something you cobble up for a single use.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
        X