My G doesn't like the sidestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My G doesn't like the sidestand

This has happened to me twice in the last six months....
    Whenever my G sits for more than a few days on the sidestand, one of the needle valves controlled by the float will rotate on the tang and get stuck. This creates a rich condition in that cylinder and the bike runs like shiite!!
    It happened to me again this week. I had just installed some side-gapped plugs which made a noticeable difference. Then we had a few days of rain. I left the bike on the sidestand under the carport and when I went for a ride, after the rain stopped, it started spitting and sputtering. I isolated it to cylinder #4, the plug was wet after every ride, even after drying it with starting fluid. Thought it might be the wires and performed the 1/4" trim, and even switched the 1 and 4 wires to no avail.
    Following my hunch, and instead of pulling the carbs again, I removed the float bowl to check (thanks Marty for the SS allen head bolts) and found that the wire gizmo on top of the needle had rotated and was jammed on the float tang.
    I corrected it, put it back together and all was well again. And, I didn't even have to pull the carbs!! The last time this happened I isolated the issue to carb #2, and didn't have the allen head bolts, so I pulled the carbs, which I had just cleaned not too long ago and found this same situation. Once corrected, it ran fine. That time I made sure I installed the needles with the offset on the wires toward the back, closest to the float pivot point. Obviously that made no diffrence in this situation.
    Anyway, thought this may help someone experiencing wet plugs for some unknown reason.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

IIRC there are two issues going on here. One is as you found the clip, and turning it around my memory says will help, the other is the adjustment for how far the floats can drop which also affects that issue as well. This wasn't found on an XS11 carb, but on XS400 carbs, which are the same carbs, and have the same parts and problems and fixes.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You're right Cy, I read about the "limiter tang" adjustment also. I'll have to play with that next time I pull the carbs. Although that clip is so loose on there that I'm skeptical there's any way to keep it from happening again.
      Thanks for the reply.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
      X