Flashers, Freaking Flashers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashers, Freaking Flashers!

I've tried about everything with these turn signals. They activate but don't flash. I've replaced the small flasher (6V I think under the seat) and there's one 12V flasher under my right side panel (I don't know if it's bad or not). I tried replacing the 12V flasher with one that Advanced Auto gave me and the signals wouldn't even turn on so I put the old flasher back on and they turn on but don't blink. I've checked the connections in the switch and they're fine. What's the deal? Is there some relay or something that is bad or could that 12V flasher (eventhough it turns my signals on) still be bad? Help please!

P.S. Even at higher RPMs it doesn't work.

flasher

The round can inside a rubber band under the right sidecover is the flasher for the turn signals. If the 12 volt flasher you bought is a two prong, connect it in place of the original. If it don't work, use the other terminal. If not a two prong, then get one, a heavy duty one that will flash more than 2 bulbs. If they flash on one side and not the other, probably a bad bulb. With my original flasher, only one side (left) would flash. With a new 2 prong, it works just fine. The original is 3 prong, so try plugging the 2 prong one way, then the other. Good luck.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

The 12V Advanced gave me was a 3 prong flasher. Do they carry the 2 prong? Why did the 3 prong (from Advanced Auto) not work at all? It was a heavy duty flasher also. The guy told me they usually go on big trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by monhollenj View Post
        The 12V Advanced gave me was a 3 prong flasher. Do they carry the 2 prong? Why did the 3 prong (from Advanced Auto) not work at all? It was a heavy duty flasher also. The guy told me they usually go on big trucks.
        The Yamaha flasher is unlike anything else; the third prong is for auto-shut-off. They're actually a pretty heavy-duty unit and should last the life of the bike as long as the internal contacts are clean.

Before you give up on the OEM flasher, try unplugging the auto canceller; that will be the long square box above the battery. If the flashers work now, the canceller is bad or you have a bad connection in it's plug. Also note that sometimes the bike has to be running for them to work. Cleaning all the various connections will help with that...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Try taking the two prong flasher for the emergency flashers on your bike and plugging it into the 3 prong plug under the right side cover.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            The Yamaha flasher is unlike anything else; the third prong is for auto-shut-off. They're actually a pretty heavy-duty unit and should last the life of the bike as long as the internal contacts are clean.

Before you give up on the OEM flasher, try unplugging the auto canceller; that will be the long square box above the battery. If the flashers work now, the canceller is bad or you have a bad connection in it's plug. Also note that sometimes the bike has to be running for them to work. Cleaning all the various connections will help with that...
            The auto cancel won't make it not flash, it will either make it not come on at all, or not auto cancel. Auto cancel is done by applying voltage to the third pin of the stock flasher, which is turns out does NOT actually get 12 volts into it (12 volts feeds out without a load but the load of the flasher pulls it down under 5 volts). Unplugging the auto cancel unit will certainly not hurt anything however, as it just removes any possibility of voltage being applied to the third pin and disabling the flasher and turning off the signals. As soon as I get the money to complete my prototyping I'll be able to finalize the auto cancel mod for two prong flashers, unfortunately it's not really functional yet, another couple weeks at most though and it should be finalized.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

note also if u havent cleaned the handle bar control on the left that be the case to. that was my problem. take them appart clean really good (becarful not to do to much tugging and pulling) put back together, add bielectric grease to it, and done.
              _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
              1980 gs1000g "stock"
              1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
              2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help. Bikerphil, your idea worked. I unplugged the flasher from the emergency flashers and tried it on the main flashers and they worked fine! Brilliant work guys. It definitely saved me a lot of money. Now I have to figure out why, whomever wired this thing, seemed to have wired my front flashers straight or something. They stay on like park lights and don't blink, don't get bright or anything. I'll check the connections in the headlight to see what they did. Hopefully it won't be too hard to fix

Comment

On your model (80G), the front turn signals double as running lights and should come on with the key. They should have double filament bulbs, low for the running light and high for the turn signal. The rear signals have single filiment bulbs, signal only.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Phil where do you get he has an 80G from? I don't see it in his post, and his profile only says 1980 XS1100 without saying which model. Yes, if it's a standard they front signals should come on steady with the key, but they should flash as well with the turn signals. If they don't, it could sell be the 4 way flasher switch. The wires on it tend to get corroded and come loose and will make lights stop working. It's a little bit involved, but not really that hard, just have to pull the switch pod apart carefully and clean the spot where the wire connected to, clean the wire end and then solder it back on. A small brash wire brush works good for the cleaning, and any cheap soldering iron will work for this job.
                    Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    750 FD Mod
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I thought I read 80G, must have been someone else. He says the main flashers work fine now but the front remain on which would most likely be the running lights.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Yeah, is sounds likely to be an 80G, I just can't find it in print anywhere which is why I asked. It could be just the wrong type of bulbs in them, but until he gets back to us we won't know.
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Ok fellas....It is an 80G. I think Bikerphil has helped me with a problem before, and I commend his memory on my bike model I'll check the bulbs tomorrow. Wrong bulbs could easily be the case. My connectors in the switch look good. I took it apart and cleaned a little on it yesterday. Again, I thank you for your help. It really means a lot. I'll try to get some pics up when I get my exhaust wrapped and handlebars replaced. It does sound good now. Yesterday I installed pod air filters, a stage 3 dynojet kit, and new carb intake boots. Feels good to have this thing riding smooth and fast I'll also be adding a sissy bar and installing the original gas tank once it's painted (Harley Davidson's Black Denim w/ Eggshell clear-coat). The excitement is mounting, too bad in Eastern Kentucky, it's starting to get cold and rainy. More to come tomorrow.

Comment

I just noticed mine are backwards. My rear (square signals) have double filament bulbs and connectors, but my front (round signals) have single filament bulbs and connectors. Do I need to take off my turn signals and switch them from back to front?

Comment

flashers

They ARE backwards, AND square is from a standard, and round is from a special. You don't have what you own on your page, std or spec? Either way, yours are mixed.
                              put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                              79 F (Blueballs)
                              79 SF (Redbutt)
                              81 LH (organ donor)
                              79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                              76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                              rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                              X