R1/FJR brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1/FJR brakes

OK I'm sure this has been done but I tried to search and found nothing.Who has mounted R1 or FJR brakes on an XS 11.Maybe with the after market rotors?Thanks for the help. Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

There's been a couple of mentions of this being done, but no details beyond that you needed to fab an 'adaptor' bracket to mate them to the forks. You also need to check rotor thickness, as the XS uses much thicker than 'normal' rotors. One downside I've also seen mentioned is costs; the R1 calipers aren't particularly cheap (even used), and rebuild parts for them are also expensive ($100 per caliper).

You might want to look at this: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=Brake+upgrade as an alternative....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

check out fishheadbigbrakes
      80 xs1100G

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.It doesn't look like this is going to be a mod that is easy on the wallet.But if 1 person does it usually someone finds a cheaper way to go.I'm hoping to have the time to to try this come winter.If it works I'll post pictures if not I'll post that too. Terry
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Your bike being a Special makes the upgrade all the more difficult. It's likely best to get what you have in perfect condition. You may get some help from Vintage Brake. There are a few brake pad options. DO NOT go to Bremzen!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            Your bike being a Special makes the upgrade all the more difficult....
            Nice catch Marty; he's correct that there's never been a posted brake swap for the Special forks. All that have been done were done on 'standard' forks or a complete fork swap...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I'm thinking start with EBC rotors,because they are lighter and then build brackets for the calipers.I know there is still the issue of rotor thickness and centering the calipers,but I'm sure there are solutions to those problems.Even if spacers have to be used between the wheel and rotors.
              1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
                OK I'm sure this has been done but I tried to search and found nothing.Who has mounted R1 or FJR brakes on an XS 11.Maybe with the after market rotors?Thanks for the help. Terry
                Pretty sure Christian on the Aussie site has done it. http://xs1100.com.au/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1 drop him a PM, i'm sure he'll be happy to help.

FWIW My XJR has 4 pot brembo's on it and they're the bomb. Stops on a sixpence, or a dime depending where your from, at the slightest touch on the lever. My advice for conversion would be 'Do It' whatever the cost.
                Last edited by b.walker5; 09-21-2011, 04:56 AM.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

As far as rotors go, if you go to one of the XS650 suppliers, you can get the proper spacers from them. XS650 and XS1100 rotors are the same. There are several options at 650 Central.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
                    ...and then build brackets for the calipers...
                    That's where you'll run into trouble. The 'Specials' use those weird 'pivoting' calipers that attach with only one long bolt, so it's going to be very tough to get a 'positive' mount with only one attachment point. Much easier to swap a set of 'standard' forks on there with their conventional mounts....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I think theres also a guy on the Pom site that put an entire FJR Front end on his, which gave him the good brakes. He's here too, goes by the handle of FJ11200 or something similar IIRC. Check the members list.
                      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                      X