ordering a new ignition key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ordering a new ignition key

The XJ11 came with a copied key and though it works and one cut from it sort of works, I'm wondering if there's any way of easily ordering or finding out what an original key should be cut like?

I'd rather use a proper key & maybe that will prolong the tumblers in the ignition.

Thanks.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Try Motorcyclekeys.com Got a couple from them and they helped quickly with an issue I had. They are in Hawaii but still received very quickly. Think I paid $7.00 and $3.00 shipping
    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

You could take the ign switch off the bike and take it to a good locksmith (not Home Depot) and he should be able to make the correct keys.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I had lost my key once and went to a local locksmith and all I needed was the 4 digit number that was on the ignition switch. He looked up the code and it gave him the depths of the notchs to cut in the key. 4 or 5 dollars later, BAM I had a new key.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

When I first got my bike, it had no key, so I did the same thing. Took the ignition switch off and took it to the local dealer. I read the numbers off the bottom of the switch and he cut a new key from them. The first key he cut didn't work, so he cut a second one with the same numbers and it worked. It looks different from the OEM keys (much longer) but has the same bumps and ridges as the original.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
          X