Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78XS11E Carb Gasket Placement?

Howdy,

I've been fussing with my carbs for a while, when I have time. Anyways, I found some time this morning and I'm not confident about the way the gaskets are placed on the float bowel.

I've pointed at three holes inside the bowel: What are these holes and are any of them to be covered by the gasket?

XS11E Carb_Open Float Bowel by sam98177, on Flickr

Thanks,
    Last edited by sam98177; 09-05-2011, 11:05 AM. Reason: picture issues
    Sam
    1978 XS1100E

From what I remember doing my carbs, all three holes are partially covered to some degree by the float bowl gasket. You position the gasket so that it slides down the brass tube and it will only fit one way.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Like James said, they only fit one way and those holes will be just fine.

But while you are there I'll give you a tip I've used for what seems forever that will save you grief in the future. Paint the gaskets on the carb body side with a thin veneer of anti-sieze before final assembly (you can do both sides if you don't mind getting that stuff all over your fingers, clothes, doorknobs, telephone, the dog, etc...).
      The next time you pull the bowls off, you won't have to spend a significant part of your life removing the gasket material from the carbs.

P.S. This works on most all gaskets without compromising the sealing function of said gaskets. Head gaskets excluded of course.
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Working...
      X