Help! No power to accelerate after replacing handle bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! No power to accelerate after replacing handle bar

I have a 1979 xs1100. Switched out the oem bars to cafe clubman bars. Two things I noticed right away after slight rerouting of wires and cables: 1) The starter button/switch works intermittently and 2) the clutch appears to shift through all gears but I can't get enough power to the rear wheel to move the bike forward. After playing around with the cable some more, the starter button/switch completely went out, I jumped the bike from the starter terminals. The bike starts and runs and appears to shift. The rear wheel spins when on the center stand but there is not enough power to propel the bike forward when the tire is on the ground no matter how much I rev it. I am lost!

The switches ground through the bars so if they are coated, that is your electrical issue (could be the problem even if they are not coated check ot rhough).

As to the other issue, I would bet it has to do with cable routing. Probably keeping.the clutch slightly engaged.

did the bike run fine before the bar change?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ran perfectly

Comment

100% correct about the bars. Swapped back to the originals and she started right up. I guess I will have to scrape down to bare metal at the connection points on the new bars. The next step will be to redo my cable routing to see if I can get the clutch to reengage.

Comment

Could also run a separate ground wire.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Update: remounted clubmans and scraped the paint by the knurls and underneath the push button start housing. Starts again no problem. Also rerouted the reroute of the throttle cable and lubed it. Bike changes gear again.

Comment

Working...
            X