WooHoo starting to get excited But!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WooHoo starting to get excited But!!!

This is a great forum. Much better than the yamaha forum I joined before this one and did not get much help. Thanks guys for all the great advice. So I got my carb leak fixed, I replaced the valve seat o-ring like some of you suggested, reset my float hieght, and pre-synced the carbs and adjusted the idle screw. The bike starts a little easier and sounds much better. It also does not stick in higher rpms or cut out when you rev it up. Here comes the but though, now when you start the bike the idle will bounce around some. It will idle normal then drop down like its about to die and then pick back up. It did this for about 10 min before stalling out. every time the rpms would drop you could just touch the throttle and it would pick back up. I kept raising the idle screw but it continued to do the same thing. Could it be that I just need to have them Synced again or is should I try and adjust the pilot screws as well? Thanks agian. Sorry to seem repetative in my posts but I am definatly no mechanic.
    Brian

1980 xs1100 Special - Work in progress

Originally posted by B.B. View Post
    ...Could it be that I just need to have them Synced again or is should I try and adjust the pilot screws as well?
    You need to do both... again
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Steve do you adjust the pilot screws before or after syncing the carbs once there back on the bike, and is it 2 1/2 turns out for the pilot screws or what?
      Brian

1980 xs1100 Special - Work in progress

Comment

Synch

Adjust pilot A/F mix

Synch

2 1/2 is a good starting point. With a 4 into 1 Kerker mine are at 4 turns out.

Comment

Agreed, sync, adjust pilot screws, sync. I just leave the sync gauges hooked up and reset my sync after each pilot screw.

As you adjust the pilot screws you will new to change, usually lower, the idle as well.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by B.B. View Post
            - - - Could it be that I just need to have them Synced again or is should I try and adjust the pilot screws as well? - - -
            Hi Brian,
            as a general rule, if you adjust anything you'll have to re-adjust everything
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
            X