Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

someone with pods and a 4 into 1 please chime in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someone with pods and a 4 into 1 please chime in!

what jets did you need for your bike to run right with pods and a kerker 4 into 1? I found a thread a while ago that hadthis setup exactly but i've been searching for the last 30 minutes and am tired of it.

I have an 80 special, with the correct 80 carbs on them. they are off the bike right now being cleaned, and hopefully rejetted. but i would like a good starting point.

according to the recommendations on the site I should add 4 jet sizes, 2 for kerker, 3 for pods minus 1. should i keep the staggered jetting (aka 1&4 115 2&3 120) and add the jet numbers to there, or should i run the same on all 4? if i'm to run the same on all 4 so i step up from the 120s or the 115s?

i really did search...
    80 xs11 special- pods, kerker, cafe seat/tail, clubmans.
    2000 s10- 5.3 v8 swap, cam, stall, ford rear with 3.73s and posi, upgraded brakes, lowered, traction bars, larger sway bar, and a bunch of other stuff..

The jetting was staggered like that to try to keep the center 2 cooler, even yamaha did away with it pretty quick. I would start with the 115's and go from there, but keep in mind that the recommendations are just starting points and you will still most likely emd up adjusting some.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Jetting

See Sig. this set-up may reflect a more sedate riding style,( gettin old ) as Tach seldom see's 6k or more anymore.
      80LG Franken - Bags,Trunk
      Tkat's , Mike's Blacks
      Mac 4-2 drilled tapers, Pods
      Wiseco 1179 @ 35K
      750FD swap @ 80K miles 7-2-11
      Geezer Rect.
      Progressive's Front + Back
      82 XJ Carbs 127.5 Mains - 55 Pilots
      Lockhart Cooler
      HD Barnett clutch springs @ 81K (cured slight slip)

Comment

Probably a good idea to start out with stock jetting and see how it runs. Most people don't have to do anything. If you need to change them pulling the carbs is a 15 minute job with pods on there.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have to disagree with the stock jetting suggestion for the following reasons.

These bikes were jetted leaner and leaner every year they progressed from 78 for epa reasons.

We've had a few folks post about burning holes in pistons..albeit usually from a severely imbalanced setup or such, but the risks seem a bit too high for me.

I have an 81SH, came 110 stock in all 4, and I ran (ignorantly) 4-1 pipes on it for 10 years without rejetting, did several LONG DISTANCE trips, etc.. The top end did seem a little weak, but rarely took it or kept it at 7.5 k rpm for very long!

I then rebuilt the top end, 1179cc wiseco kit and also added pod filters. I used the jetting guide, and went up to 117.5, and kept the pilot jets stock with just an extra turn out. I have good light tan plug color and plenty of power. A dyno run I did shortly after I broke the topend in showed that I could have possibly gone with 120's and still not be too rich.

As Nate said, it's just a guide, and you'll still need to do some testing and tuning, but IMHO, putting in 122.5's (3 up from your lowest base of 115)across the board would be a good starting point. YMMV Remember you can richen it up a bit with mild float adjustments so you won't necessarily have to re-invest in more jets.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Just sayin'..........start with what ya got and adjust from there. Too many changes at one time can create problems that will drive you freakin' nuts.

With the pods the carbs are simple to pull and adjust jet sizes.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions. I think ill try to start out at all 120s and go from there. All I gotta do is find 2 120s which I think I can grab from a local guy.

Next question. Where can I get the correct jets? Mikesxs?
              80 xs11 special- pods, kerker, cafe seat/tail, clubmans.
              2000 s10- 5.3 v8 swap, cam, stall, ford rear with 3.73s and posi, upgraded brakes, lowered, traction bars, larger sway bar, and a bunch of other stuff..

Comment

You got several scoot shops there in Tuscon.............two that are really good..........go down to one of them(make doesn't matter) and get or order the jets U need locally. Just be sure they are Genuine Mikuni jets. Alot(most) places will tell you they are Mikuni because they look the same...........they are NOT!........NONE of them including RD's. will work correctly.......oh, yea, they fit and look the same, guarentee they are NOT!. Still locally is your best bet. If in doubt, order what you want ..........They'll come in sealed GenuineMikuni packaging........bout 6bucks a pop.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X