colortune question about color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colortune question about color

So what does it mean when the mixture screws are turned all the way in seated, and the color is still bright yellow orange?
    1980 XS1100G
    Tulsa, OK

Originally posted by MeatTooth View Post
    So what does it mean when the mixture screws are turned all the way in seated, and the color is still bright yellow orange?
    Just some wild guesses here:

1) The master idle screw is set too high or the carburetors are out of synch so the throttle plates are open too far, uncovering the transfer ports along with the idle ports.

The idle mixture screws only control the amount of premixed fuel and air delivered by the idle ports.

The size of the pilot air and fuel jets controls the amount of premixed fuel and air that is delivered by the transfer ports and is not really adjustable without changing the pilot air and fuel jets.

2) The floats levels are all wrong.

3) The jets are all wrong.

4) All four idle mixture screw tips are broken off in the carburetor bodies and the idle mixture has to be provided by the transfer ports instead of the idle ports.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions here is what I know.

1. The main needle needs to be adjusted because of too rich condition (dynojet stage 1)

2. The carbs are clean just had then ultrasoniced <--is that a word? and I personally inspected before installing.

3. I will take a look at the floats again what's the best way to set them?

4. Carb sync is good<---however the fluid levels in the gauge were kinda low compared to when I've synced before. Does that indicate a problem?

5. The bike seems to be okay until about 10min into a ride then I feel 1 cylinder cutout. I Can goose it and it seems to fire back up
      1980 XS1100G
      Tulsa, OK

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions here is what I know.

1. The main needle needs to be adjusted because of too rich condition (dynojet stage 1)
        Maybe you got the wrong jets with those needles. Did you drill the slides too?

2. The carbs are clean just had then ultrasoniced <--is that a word? and I personally inspected before installing.
        Excellent!

3. I will take a look at the floats again what's the best way to set them?
        If they're still basically '80G carburetors then 23mm from the carb body, without the float bowl gasket, to the top of the float with the the carburetors upside down and reasonably level.

4. Carb sync is good<---however the fluid levels in the gauge were kinda low compared to when I've synced before. Does that indicate a problem?
        It could be a problem. With the fuel level a little low you have to open the throttle plates a little more to draw enough fuel for the correct idle speed. That might have started to uncover the transfer ports. It doesn't take much to begin to activate the first transfer port of the triad or the vacuum advance port in the #2 carburetor.

When you check the float levels, take a very close look at the throttle plates and make sure that none of the transfer ports or the vacuum advance port are being exposed to vacuum at the idle and synch settings you are using.

5. The bike seems to be okay until about 10min into a ride then I feel 1 cylinder cutout. I Can goose it and it seems to fire back up
        Check the pickup coil wires.

Check the Dynojet needles to make sure they're all on the same setting and not too rich or too lean.

Make sure that one float isn't hanging up on the float bowl gasket or set so low that one carburetor starts to run out of fuel, then 'catches up' when the float drops and stays open to meet the increased fuel demand.

Make sure that one float or needle isn't set too high and basically flooding the carburetor when the needle starts to rise and more fuel starts to flow through the main jet.

Check the pickup coil wires.
        -- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks awesome information! I've got the carbs completely disassembled right now about to check float levels

yes I did drill the slides.
          1980 XS1100G
          Tulsa, OK

Comment

Thanks awesome information! I've got the carbs completely disassembled right now about to check float levels
            Well, you're welcome but the problem is you've got at least three things going at the same time: the Dynojet mods; orange flame in the Bunson burn... Colortune; cylinder that drops out after warmup but appears to recover.

A simple thing like a small piece of dirt or gum could partially block the gas tank cap vent and cause a cylinder to drop out and recover for no apparent reason after a short run; same for the pickup coils and the mechanical/vacuum advance assemblies.

I've never messed with Dynojet or drilling slides so I honestly don't know how they handle customer problems. You might be able to ask them for some help even if you bought their kit from a shadowy anonymous figure wearing dark glasses out behind some seedy oxygen bar well after closing time.
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

Well it would appear that I have a lot more going on than expected......my gas is orange. I drained the tank and looked deep inside and there is a crap load of rust down in the corners. It didn't show up in the bowls but I'm pretty sure a chunk of something got sucked in somewhere. So triple clean on fresh ultrasonic cleaned carbs here I come.
              1980 XS1100G
              Tulsa, OK

Comment

... rust down in the corners. It didn't show up in the bowls but I'm pretty sure a chunk of something got sucked in somewhere. So triple clean on fresh ultrasonic cleaned carbs here I come.
                Ouch!

My buddy did that after I cleaned and set up some carburetors for his bike; hooked them up to tank full of rust and no filters. When the engine eventually quit running and refused to start any more he ripped them apart, then wanted me to clean and set them up again. It got done but it seemed as though the second time took ... months.
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

On the Mixture screws did you check to make sure they are assembled correctly?

Sounds like you might be missing something. Assembly is rubber o-ring,washer, spring, then the mixture screw.
                  Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                  Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                  Pod Filters
                  DynoJet Kit
                  T.C.'s Fuse Block
                  Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                  Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                  V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

It got done but it seemed as though the second time took ... months.
                    That is hilarious. Unfortunately I already spent my $100 to have them ultrasoniced, so now it's do it myself. I worked for a dental servicing company last year and we all the time took out old working ultrasonic cleaners (worth about $1,500 new) and tossed them in the garbage....kinda wish one would have found it's way to my house now. I did at one time have a working 1950's inter oral x ray in my garage for fun (it looked very impressive) but I scrapped it.

I'll check the mixture screws for proper assembly. I've got the tank full of vinegar right now and it's a nice mixture of orange sludge right now. Picked up some aquarium gravel and muriatic acid tonight just in case. I've been trying to find por-15 locally but can't seem to. Guess it will have to wait until Tue. now supposed to have great weather this weekend it's been 100+ supposed to be down to 80 I hear.
                    1980 XS1100G
                    Tulsa, OK

Comment

Working...
                    X