Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You think this is "acceptable" motorcycle service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You think this is "acceptable" motorcycle service?

Took my rear & front in on Wednesday for new rubber (Pirelli MT66's) to a motorcycle shop. We set pickup time at 11:00 AM on Thursday. I was early (10:45, thats just me) and they had not started yet. They bring the first one out to me and this is what I see . Freaking lead tape on my rim! Motorcycle shops that do this for a business don't use the proper clip on weights? After he got off phone I said what's with the lead tape and he just kind of looked at me. I said the rims came in with clip weights and that's how I expected it back. They said they don't do that (he doesn't know s*it, he was just the guy who brought it over from the shop side) they use the tape. My recent research on this due to my standard 17" wheel set having no weights tell's me that when you use the tape you split it and go on both sides and I said the weight is generally split equally when tape is used and he really had no response. When I walked away he called over to the shop side and had them do the rear correctly (no tape). Looks like they used my old weights but they were moved on the rim and I checked them when I got home and both appear to be balanced correctly. My question to use guys: Am I just an anal a*sshole for not wanting the tape? Isn't lead tape totally bush freaking league for a supposed motorcycle shop? I was pissed they were not done and even more so about the shoddy service so I left the front with the tape on and will get proper clip weights and do it myself. What do you guys think? I have a hard time believing they would do someones nice Harley the same way? Input guys...

PS Tale of the tape $218.00 + tax. Feel like it was reasonable price wise
    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

When I busted car tires when I was younger I was told by the shop owner (my Father) "Always use the same type of weights that it came in here with" That was unless the asked for the lead tape kind. I don't like the look of the lead tape on a bike...I would have complained.
    1980 XS1100G
    Tulsa, OK

Comment

Looking at the pic, I thought you were going to mention what look like several tyre lever chips in the rim because no rim protectors were used during the tyre change.

I must say, I wouldn't want those stick-on things on my rims, if only because they look unsubtle, to say the least, especially since they cross over the paint line on the rim. No, I don't personally think you're being unreasonable at all. Those weights are more suited to the wide, flat rims on modern bikes, not the XS1100. Also, the sticky tape is actually not waterproof after a while and the profile of the rim means water will go straight under it. I can imagine those weights flying off like bullets one day.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I use those lead weights all the time with no problems. As long as the rim surface was properly cleaned first you should have no problem. They look like they are attached in the correct position so centrifugal force wants to push them on tighter.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 09-02-2011, 02:31 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I would have made them put the clip on weights on. Not only is it unsightly but that surface isn't flat and I wouldn't trust them to stick for long either.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Cycle Gear put the same sticky weights on the last 2 wheels I took to them. I thought it was strange, but didn't say anything. I figure weights are weights, as long as they're the right ones in the right spots. Maybe I'll make sure to ask next time, and see what they say.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

This why I do my own.....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                Looking at the pic, I thought you were going to mention what look like several tyre lever chips in the rim because no rim protectors were used during the tyre change.
                No James, Can't blame them for the chips, they were on them before.

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                This why I do my own.....
                I have one more to do on our 550. I’m seriously thinking about it if this the best level of service I can get.

Comment

A lot of shops may not be carrying the clip on weights anymore, since they don't work on a lot of bikes, but the press on ones work on anything. I personally prefer the clip on ones myself, and my local shop uses the clip on ones where they work, or at least does on my bike, but they have both. They are also a dynabead dealer and I'm thinking about giving them a try, cause balancing my rear wheel has been a real pain the last couple of times, and the stupid things don't actually stay in balance for the life of the tire anyways, the beads would take care of that.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I raised hell when the shop I took mine to used tape ons too. I made 'em change them. Those damn tape ons come off in the car wash.

My last tire balance was free because of that.

Are you an a$$hole? Well maybe Cy........you HAVE been hanging around me.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Watched the process of changing them on youtube a few times tonight. Might have to just give it a try.

Comment

tires

I always mount and balance my own. I have a cut down barrel with a half a car tire on the lip, and a threaded rod in the middle to keep the wheel on. I break the beads in the bench vice. I use car balance weights, the clip on kind. Must open the clips a bit to get them on the center flange on the wheel. I like to use two or more lighter weights, one on each side of the flange, and spread them apart to get the correct balance, but if they need to be more than 6 inches apart, I use heavier weights. But first I try to rotate the tire on the wheel to get the closest balance, then use the weights to finish the job. I made a stand so I can use the axle and balance the wheel/tire combo so no matter where it stops, it does not turn back any. My wheels always stay in balance, no vibration at 80-90 MPH. Easy to do after a bit of practice, and saves money, and gives the satisfaction of knowing the job is done correctly.
                        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                        79 F (Blueballs)
                        79 SF (Redbutt)
                        81 LH (organ donor)
                        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                        rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Those damn tape ons come off in the car wash.
                          On a motorcycle....????? Now thats something I would pay to see.... Do you wear your wet weather gear???, or just take some soap???
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Changing your own tyres isn't difficult. I bought two long motorbike tyre levers on aBay (about a foot long) and I bought three plastic rim protectors (also on eBay) for next to nothing. I put both my tyres on. Having said that, the UK bikes have tubes, so I wonder if tubeless beads are tighter than tubed type. Once you get the tube deflated and get the bead to sit in the well of the rim, the tyres come right off. I didn't balance either wheel, actually, and I just can't see any immediate difference in the handling, tyre wear or, indeed, anything. Maybe I was lucky with it.
                            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I replaced the front tire on my xs, no tube, went pretty smooth. Only bit of trouble I had was getting the bead set again but a bunch of air pressure and a ratcheting tie down took care of that. Tried a tube type once ad put lots of holes in the tube so I need a bit more practice there. :-)

Harbor freight has everything you need to get the job done. I never did find any cip on weights though had to scavange some from parts bikes

Comment

Working...
                              X