Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 XS Special Kick Starter Question I have searched

Hi all,

I have a 79 XS 1100 special and I am having issues related to the kickstart mechanism. I bought the XS850 Kick Lever, and installed it no problem. When I go to kick the bike over though, it makes a slight compression feel, kicks through, but seems like something is missing.. The bike starts fine on the button and drives perfectly, so It isn't like the head gasket is blow or something.

Has anybody had any experience with this situation? If so please chime in.
    XS11.Com resident Black Sheep

Originally posted by 79xs1100s View Post
    - - - When I go to kick the bike over though, it makes a slight compression feel, kicks through, but seems like something is missing.. The bike starts fine on the button and drives perfectly, - - -
    Hi '79,
    they left out the kicker innards on my '80 but if yours has the kicker's splineshaft sticking out the rest should still be there?
    You didn't say, does it start on the kicker?
    If not, check that the kicker connects to the engine by pulling the plugs, shifting into gear and seeing if the kicker will scoot the bike along.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi
      yea I have the spine shaft on the case so I assume it cam factory equips with all of the components. When I go to kick it it just feels like its not turning the crank. Also the lever does not recoil after it is kicked down.

I will look into whether or not it attampts to move the bike while in gear
      XS11.Com resident Black Sheep

Comment

If it doesn't recoil, the kick lever mechanism was probably installed incorrectly last time someone had the clutch cover off. Probably an easy fix, but the cover has to come off.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
        X