Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It lives! Several questions now that it's running...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It lives! Several questions now that it's running...

Got Hurricane running (calling it that since we have a hurricane going to hit here the day it's finally running...) NIce XJ11, good XJ11...

I followed the link http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm that was suggested here and ran it 23 miles & then changed oil/filter. Yes, much particulate matter as the link said and lots of it shiny metal flecks... I did mostly accelerate & compression brake and hardly ever used the actual brakes during this phase.

So now's the questions

1. Oil light showed on the computer several times during the run, wasn't on ever before during the 200 miles I ran it last year. I'm guessing that's because it sat without oil in the case for 3-4 months? The particles in the filter show the pump is working. Anything I should do at this point?

2. How many miles before I replace the filter/oil again?

3. Fuel gauge shows empty & the Red warning light is flashing. The tank was empty for the last 10 months but was in a climate controlled environment. During the initial computer checklist when starting it shows full but then goes to empty and the FUEL persists in showing as an error. 4-5 times during the run it showed fuel levels accurately but went back to empty soon after. No problems last year with the fuel display, this is new. Anything I should do at this point?

4. The engine has now been brought to temp. Do I do the final retorque of the head bolts when the engine is stone cold?

5. Anything else I should retorque because of its being run for the first time since rebuild?

Definitely needs a Syncing & colortune but well, yeah... I'll do that tomorrow if the Hurricane allows...
    Last time I was in a Hurricane was when I lived in New Iberia, LA...

And thank you all for the kind help while I got this going, Couldn't have done it right without you!

Gary
    Last edited by KA1J; 08-26-2011, 05:23 PM.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

My gas gauge did the same thing and it turned out to be that the float came off the shaft inside the tank. I believe you have to re torque the head bolts when the engine is hot. Just redid the head on my car(it's aluminum too) and thats what the specs said.
    82 XJ1100
    Regina,Saskatchewan,
    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Originally posted by lancelot455 View Post
      My gas gauge did the same thing and it turned out to be that the float came off the shaft inside the tank. I believe you have to re torque the head bolts when the engine is hot. Just redid the head on my car(it's aluminum too) and thats what the specs said.
      Float coming off would be a problem. Since the gauge worked several times & then went back to fail I'm guessing the float is still attached. How did you reattach the float? and what kind of gasket material did you use?

Not saying when to retorque is another one of the things Yama left out, it just said to do so.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Working...
      X