Dynojet stage 1 without drilling the slide - XJ11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynojet stage 1 without drilling the slide - XJ11

I just repacked the baffles on a Jardine Spaghetti and have made a K&N filter for the stock XJ11 airbox by replacing the paper element with K&N material. Since it's not stock system I'm expecting it to run lean.

I have a Dynojet kit for it # 17-1885 but don't want to drill out the slide. I'm really adverse to doing permanent changes to something I want to keep for a long time.

Has anyone put in the stage 1 Dynojet jets & needles with a lightly modified carb & pipes and not drilled the slides?

How did it fare for you?

I probably should just run it for awhile & see how it does with the stock rebuild I did but getting the carbs out was a SOB & after forcing these carbs back in tomorrow when I'm done, I don't want to have to do all that again for a long time. If I will for sure have to change the jetting down the road, I'd rather do it now & not haul those carbs out till down the line when I need to clean the whole setup.

Thoughts on this?
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Run whatcha got first.

I have never been a proponent of 'stacking' modifications. It is always better to try one thing at a time that way you can get a real impact of that change only. So, IMHO, I would run your carbs where they are and see the performance you get before you put in your jet kit. As far as drilling the slide, that will make it react faster bringing on mid-range quicker. Something that you might not like if you do alot of low-speed riding. If you put your jet kit in, try it without the drill and see what happens (see first sentence).

Having said that, if you drill the slides, measure the original hole first so that if you decide to go back you can fill the larger hole in with J-B Weld and re-drill the hole to factory.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I did the drill with my dynojet kit, but it was suggested to me to drill anyway, even WITHOUT the dynojet kit. It helps with throttle response, thereby increasing fuel efficiency. HTH
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        I did the drill with my dynojet kit, but it was suggested to me to drill anyway, even WITHOUT the dynojet kit. It helps with throttle response, thereby increasing fuel efficiency. HTH
        What exactly is it that gets drilled? The hole at the bottom of the slide?
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          The air vent hole that goes THROUGH the slide. You can see straight through it anyway, but the DJ kit instructions say to open that hole up just a tad to allow more air to vent more quickly. This allows the slide to move a bit faster.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah, thats the hole I figured just wanted to make sure.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
              ...I have a Dynojet kit for it # 17-1885 but don't want to drill out the slide. I'm really adverse to doing permanent changes to something I want to keep for a long time.

Has anyone put in the stage 1 Dynojet jets & needles with a lightly modified carb & pipes and not drilled the slides?...
              I believe Dan Hodges has used that combo; he liked the taper on the Dynojet needles better, but I also believe he used mikuni jets. Do a search for his posts, he spent a lot of money and time finding out what works.

FWIW, Dynojet kits aren't all that well thought of on the 'other' bike list I'm on, as the 'serious hp' guys without exception don't recommend drilling the slides. The main complaint seems to be that while drilling the slide can improve 'throttle response' (but not hp), it can also cause 'fluttering' of the slide accelerating wear.

I'm with you, I wouldn't drill 'em either...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yes. They give you a non marked drill in a sealed bag #39 The drill is somewhere between 5/64 - 3/32 in size. I haven't removed it in case I don't use the kit.

I do need to decide soon, other than putting in the airbox, carbs & the tank (and a final nut check to be sure all's fastened down properly) it's ready for break-in.

If I knew the easiest way how to get the carbs in with the airbox in place & out again if need be, it would be so much simpler.
                Last edited by KA1J; 08-25-2011, 09:12 AM.
                82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
                  If I knew the easiest way how to get the carbs in with the airbox in place & out again if need be, it would be so much simpler.
                  It's called practice!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Don't know much about the dynojet kit, but considering the HP and acceleration I get from these bikes, I would deem it unnecessary.
                    One mod that I would highly recommend is the YICS eliminator, if you haven't done it already.
                    Having experienced the same hassle as you in removing/re-installing the carbs on the XJ, I found that having the eliminator in there sure makes carb synching a breeze. This goes a long way in getting those carbs dialed in.
                    Another mod I had to do was change my pilot jet to a #50. My J always slightly sputtered/stumbled between 1.5k and 2.2k RPM, precisely the rpm range you're in when negotiating slow speeds in parking lots and such.
                    BikerPhil and I tried every which way to clear it to no avail, took the carbs out many times, AARRGG!!
                    Changing the pilots was a last resort and it cleared everything instantaneously. Keep that in the back of your mind for when you start dialing it in.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

It's called practice!
                      Ah yes. But as a musician for the last 50 years I found this old quote to be always true: "Perfect practice makes perfect".

With the XJ11, I want to know the perfect way to do this and then practice that... Doing it the way I did to get it out was a lot of wasted pushing and tugging, if I knew which way to push and twist it would be a help.

A sticky in the tips section with pictures for the XJ11 would be gold for me right about now.

I've been applying armorall to the boots for some time now & will be lubing them with silicone grease before putting the carbs in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                        Don't know much about the dynojet kit, but considering the HP and acceleration I get from these bikes, I would deem it unnecessary.
                        One mod that I would highly recommend is the YICS eliminator, if you haven't done it already.
                        Having experienced the same hassle as you in removing/re-installing the carbs on the XJ, I found that having the eliminator in there sure makes carb synching a breeze. This goes a long way in getting those carbs dialed in.
                        Another mod I had to do was change my pilot jet to a #50. My J always slightly sputtered/stumbled between 1.5k and 2.2k RPM, precisely the rpm range you're in when negotiating slow speeds in parking lots and such.
                        BikerPhil and I tried every which way to clear it to no avail, took the carbs out many times, AARRGG!!
                        Changing the pilots was a last resort and it cleared everything instantaneously. Keep that in the back of your mind for when you start dialing it in.
                        My only interest in jetting is solely to manage the burn correctly so it's not too lean and not too rich. Drivability is big and I'll remember the 50 for the pilot.

Comment

Working...
                        X