Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here do the carb equalization mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here do the carb equalization mod?

I learned this trick on another forum and have never seen it on here or mentioned here. I have done it for about a month now and I think I can tell a difference in the smoothness but could be in my mind too. Cheap mod though
    Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
    1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Originally posted by neJeff View Post
    I learned this trick on another forum and have never seen it on here or mentioned here. I have done it for about a month now and I think I can tell a difference in the smoothness but could be in my mind too. Cheap mod though
    It would be nice if you explained it further or posted a link to it.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      It would be nice if you explained it further or posted a link to it.
      Sorry Phil, I am an idiot. Don't have a link but its simple. You run a vacuum hose between the vacuum ports on #1 cylinder & #4 and #2 & #3. Apparently it equalizes the pressure since 1/4 run together and 2/3 run together. This is all that was mentioned and know one responded to my questions with any further theory regarding this. I did some google searching but found nothing. Easy little trick for us XS'ers who have built in vacuum ports. Like I said I tried and think maybe it does something for the smoothness but I did this a day after a carb sync and the whole bike changed dramatically for the better instantly with the sync so who knows. It cost me about 2.00 so its worth a try. I would love to hear if anyone thinks it's beneficial.

Comment

I've heard of all 4 being hooked together, sort of like the 82 and up YICS system is set up. I'll have to try it sometime, the 1+4 and 2+3 as you described.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          I've heard of all 4 being hooked together, sort of like the 82 and up YICS system is set up. I'll have to try it sometime, the 1+4 and 2+3 as you described.
          I hope you do try it and report back and benefits. Maybe it adds 25 hp

Comment

Sounds exactly like the YICS theory. I have seen this discussed before on here, not alot of enthusiasm for it. It could smooth things out, but really it shoudl have very little effect if you have your carbs synched properly already. Basically, a synch is adjusting the throttle plates to even out the vacuum at idle across all four.

I know the YICS was a EPA tool, not a performance tool. But, this is all throry really. Be interesting to see a Carb Synch gage set up with Ts and try hooking them up linking two or even all four together, after a good synch has been completed, and see if it smooths it out any.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Sounds exactly like the YICS theory. I have seen this discussed before on here, not alot of enthusiasm for it. It could smooth things out, but really it shoudl have very little effect if you have your carbs synched properly already. Basically, a synch is adjusting the throttle plates to even out the vacuum at idle across all four.

I know the YICS was a EPA tool, not a performance tool. But, this is all throry really. Be interesting to see a Carb Synch gage set up with Ts and try hooking them up linking two or even all four together, after a good synch has been completed, and see if it smooths it out any.
              Your right, it was a EPA thing, the Yics. This is slightly different if i am understanding what I have read about the Yics. Probably doesn't do a thing for you...

Comment

I tried it before and did not notice anything different but then I keep my carbs well tuned. I also tried it on my ZRX carbs, since they have a larger vacuum port built in, and still notice no real change.

What I did notice is that there was alot of heat on the hoses which I think would deteriorate them quickly making the possibility of vacuum leaks after awhile. If I were going to do this permanantly I would look for some high-heat tubing (if thee is such a thing available).
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                X