Vibration......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration......

Does anyone else have a vibration around 6k rpm? When I first bought my XS I was hesitant to take it over 85mph/6k because of a vibration that came from the engine, but a couple weeks ago I finally decided to go beyond and see if the vibration got worse, or went away... Fortunate for me the vibration went away and I was able to take it up to 100 w/o any problem and the bike was running smooth. (the '79 speedo was a nice addition, replacing my 85mph speedo)

I'm not too concerned, but just curious if this is normal for these bikes, or it may be a sign of something??
    1980 XS1100
    1997 Ural Sportsman (2-wheel drive)
    1975 Kawasaki F7-175 Enduro

Have had mine up to 120 and no vibration other than normal engine operation. Don't know what would cause it at that specific RPM though.
    Richard
    '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
    '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Sounds to me like possibly a bad engine mount or the exhaust contacting the frame somewhere.

I felt that in mine when I had one of my exhaust pipes touching the frame.
      Vibration in the frame about 4 -5K.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Huum, mine happens between 3300 and 3800 +/-.
        CZ

Comment

When you say vibration are you talking about actual motor vibration or the hormonic buzzing you get at the handle bars?

If its the bars, you can fill them with shot or sealant and shift the hormonics to an RPM range where you rarely ride. If its the actual motor then it might be hormonics in the rotating assembly itself.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I noticed a vibration coming from my exhaust at a certain RPM... Nothing I can do to get rid of it, its all tightened down properly...it even losened up the nut on my #3 ehaust cylinder and it fell off. Might be the nature of the beast. Might benefit from a new set of engine mounts.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

All my XS1100's have had a few vibes at around 4,000 revs. Even when new. I've always thought it's normal.....
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                All my XS1100's have had a few vibes at around 4,000 revs. Even when new. I've always thought it's normal.....
                This topic is very timely, I was just going to do a search on vibrations and noticed this thread. My total driving experience on an XS11 is only 500 miles, so I am just starting to notice the little characteristics of this fine machine. Like you James, I feel a vibration or "buzz" in the foot pegs and in the seat that comes on at around 3700 RPM is most noticeable at 3900-4000 and is gone at 4300. no exhaust hitting anywhere. My motor mount isolators have 45K on them but still fit into the mounting holes very well; however, you can tell they do have a bit of wear. In other words they are not perfectly round any more. I think the vibration is harmonic but I'd be curious to know if anyone thinks installing new motor mount isolators would help?
                '78 XS1100E
                '83 XVZ12

Comment

Originally posted by jfmerk View Post
                  This topic is very timely, I was just going to do a search on vibrations and noticed this thread. My total driving experience on an XS11 is only 500 miles, so I am just starting to notice the little characteristics of this fine machine. Like you James, I feel a vibration or "buzz" in the foot pegs and in the seat that comes on at around 3700 RPM is most noticeable at 3900-4000 and is gone at 4300. no exhaust hitting anywhere. My motor mount isolators have 45K on them but still fit into the mounting holes very well; however, you can tell they do have a bit of wear. In other words they are not perfectly round any more. I think the vibration is harmonic but I'd be curious to know if anyone thinks installing new motor mount isolators would help?
                  Personally, I don't think it would help. I think its hermonic and the stock pipes just buzz. I had a 4-1 on my bike before going to the stock pipes and when I first put them on I thought something was wrong, seemed like a lot of vibrating... now im use to it.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Bad Vibrations

I also have a vibration coming from my 11 @ 80-85 mph and i have narrowed it to a sloppy u-joint. If you search the forum for u-joint there is a thread on replacement part #'s from Napa and a few others, I am pretty sure this is it http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25581 Good luck on figuring it out
                    79 XS11 SPECIAL Best $200$ ever spent
                    4-1 kirker Header
                    K&N air PODS
                    Accel 8.8mm wires & E3 spark plugs
                    T.C's. SOFA
                    FD swap
                    XJ AIR RIDE
                    SS Brake lines
                    100w halogen running lights
                    ALL BALLS Bearings=ALL
                    147.5 mains 2 out on the screws
                    Fuse box updated 90*flag spades
                    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...&po=157&pc=456

Comment

Yep, I've had the same experience. Even new they had a 'buzz' right around 4k; it's the nature of the beast....

Compared to the XS2 650 twin I came off of when I got the 11 new, it was glass-smooth...
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by jfmerk View Post
                        I'd be curious to know if anyone thinks installing new motor mount isolators would help?
                        I did my two front sets and used NOS ones. I did it purely for appearance, as I wanted the quite visible silver collars to be seen. I didn't replace the rear ones, as there was no visible wear and the collars aren't too easily noticed.

Even with the two new front sets, there is still the usual vibration around 3500-4000. IMO, it's perfect;y normal and you'll not get rid of it. You could always ride any vintage British bike for a week, then, once your hands have stopped being numb, get back on the XS100 and marvel at how vibration-free it is.....
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I did my two front sets and used NOS ones. I did it purely for appearance, as I wanted the quite visible silver collars to be seen. I didn't replace the rear ones, as there was no visible wear and the collars aren't too easily noticed.

Even with the two new front sets, there is still the usual vibration around 3500-4000. IMO, it's perfect;y normal and you'll not get rid of it. You could always ride any vintage British bike for a week, then, once your hands have stopped being numb, get back on the XS100 and marvel at how vibration-free it is.....
                          Or ride an XS400 or 650 for the same time period and then come back and marvel as how smooth the XS1100 is .
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Stock Exhaust

I know this is pretty common with the stock exhaust, especially on the Standard.
                            78 XS1100E Standard
                            Coca Cola Red
                            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

I hear all kinds of weird sounds but determined that a lot of it is wind, road and general bike noise (IE. transmission, exhaust and crap in the saddle bags) combined with these rather noisy engines. As for vibrations I have them disappear at about 4000 rpm. After riding this machine for 4 summers I am getting used to the feel and sound even though my mind wants to make me believe something is wrong. Just completed 2nd gear (and 1st gear) repair and also added an auto cct so sounds are a bit different now. The Ol' Beast is running really well. Sync. the carbs today and the next mod. is the coil up grade. Can't wait.
                              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Working...
                              X