Fork Oil Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Oil Tip

I change the for fork oil on my bike. I didn't like the idea of the oil getting everywhere when I loosened up the drain bolts. I had some plastic bags left over from newspaper delivery so duct taped a bag each fork. When I loosened the the bolts I did get a few drops onto the cardboard under the bike, but when the bolts were out I used another piece of duct tape to lift the bag up over the drain hole. As you see in the pictures the oil drained into the bags and made for a very easy cleanup.

David
    1981 XS1100 Special
    Previous Bikes
    1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
    1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
    1982 Honda CB900c
    1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Works for a 'shade tree' fork overhaul.......looks to be ATF.........not a good choice for correct, smooth, consistant dampening........but works, after a fashion...
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

That's what I'm using. It works just fine.

It's actually a higher quality oil and about the same weight.

Besides, there's a 55 gallon drum of it here at work and it doesn't cost me anything.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        That's what I'm using. It works just fine.

It's actually a higher quality oil and about the same weight.

Besides, there's a 55 gallon drum of it here at work and it doesn't cost me anything.
        I'm not sure it's a higher quality oil than the good dedicated fork oils, and certainly not as well matched to the job (just as fork oil is not as well match to the job of running an automatic transmission). I personally run silcolene in mine, and it actually looks a little like transmission fluid, but it's not, and it has some different formulations specific to the job it's doing in the forks just as transmission fluid does for the job it does.

This said, I used to repurpose fluids that came in bulk when I was poor in the army (as vs poor out of the army where I don't have access to the bulk stuff ). Never very much stuff, but topping off a transmission or rear end etc. Some guys went overboard, with putting mogas (the crap military gas we used in jeeps) in their cars, I wasn't going to do that to my car, and also felt that was going too far, as taking 10 to 15 gallons of gas a month is a lot different than 8 oz of 90wt trans grease once a year or so, and maybe a cup or two of 50% antifreeze if I was in a bind, but I usually replaced that when I had a chance to go to the store, and this was all only overseas, where getting the stuff on our own was very hard, cause germans for the most part are NOT allowed to work on their own vehicles, they are required to pay a mechanic to do everything, and can't even buy parts etc, so getting anything but gas was very difficult.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

It is 15 weight fork oil I bought at our cycle shop. I was surprised that it was red.

David
          1981 XS1100 Special
          Previous Bikes
          1982 Honda CB900c
          1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

I ride year round, what weight synthetic oil should I use in my forks?
            BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
              I ride year round, what weight synthetic oil should I use in my forks?
              What part of the east and how is the bike going to be configured? I believe you are running without the fairing and such right? Depending on where you are, most of the U.S. outside of the snow belt would probably do fine with 10wt, although I run 15wt but that's with my fat butt and a vetter fairing a full dress kit on the bike and with air pressure still in the forks. If you drop the air pressure out of the forks you might also want to go up to the 15wt, but if you keep the air in there the 10wt should be fine. BTW, the 81H came from the factory with progressive springs in the forks.

So if they are OEM springs, not only should the be the length for non-air (even though they are air, it's not really air that determines it, it's standard or special), but they should be wound at a different rate at the different ends of the springs.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I use 15 weight because I am a "big fella", a quote from my orthopedic surgeon.

David
                1981 XS1100 Special
                Previous Bikes
                1982 Honda CB900c
                1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by davidsymons53 View Post
                  I use 15 weight because I am a "big fella", a quote from my orthopedic surgeon.

David
                  I fit that too, and have a BIG fairing on the front of the bike as well. Plus with the vetter bags on the bike, both me AND the bike have big butts .
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                    What part of the east and how is the bike going to be configured? I believe you are running without the fairing and such right? Depending on where you are, most of the U.S. outside of the snow belt would probably do fine with 10wt, although I run 15wt but that's with my fat butt and a vetter fairing a full dress kit on the bike and with air pressure still in the forks. If you drop the air pressure out of the forks you might also want to go up to the 15wt, but if you keep the air in there the 10wt should be fine. BTW, the 81H came from the factory with progressive springs in the forks.

So if they are OEM springs, not only should the be the length for non-air (even though they are air, it's not really air that determines it, it's standard or special), but they should be wound at a different rate at the different ends of the springs.
                    I thought the progressive's were an upgrade. Did I waste money, could I have just added some spacers on the originals?
                    Upstate New York, 6'2" 220lbs, ride double occasionally. Any second now will mount original hard saddlebags and a portable Saddlemen's BR3400 trunk bag for long road trips and may add original fairing later on, much later on.
                    Last edited by Nubian; 08-23-2011, 07:26 PM.
                    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
                      I thought the progressive's were an upgrade. Did I waste money, could I have just added some spacers on the originals?
                      Upstate New York, 6'2" 220lbs, ride double occasionally. Any second now will mount original hard saddlebags and a portable Saddlemen's BR3400 trunk bag for long road trips and may add original fairing later on, much later on.
                      With the originals you NEED the air pressure for the bike to handle properly. With the aftermarket progressives they are setup to handle the weight of the bike mostly without air, but with the H model the only way to adjust the preload is to add a spacer to the fork or add air as there is no preload adjustment like the earlier standard forks had so you can adjust your sag, which is done on the 80 and later standards by adjusting the air pressure in the forks (same as is done on stock specials). I have air ride front and rear on mine as I put the XJ rear shocks on which are air shocks, which made for a greatly improved ride and handling.
                      Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      750 FD Mod
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                      X