Final Drive Swap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive Swap Question

I am converting over final drives on my 11 and i am following chops directions when i noticed that the splines on my 11's rear end go all the way to the end. they don't on the 850's rear end. so why cant i just swap these ends and not worry about shimming the driveshaft. then there is nothing that is going to fail ( like the copper spacer) although tractor supply sells a brass bushing that fits perfectly, just needs to be shortened up to specks. Any input in this matter would again be appreciated.
    Spooky

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

11/1978 SX 1100 Special SF black metallic 59,000+ miles still kickin
    850 FD Mod

unfortunately, you will find the that coupling for the 1100 does not mary up to the 750/850 drive. Feel free to try, but I do not see how it could fit.

As to the spacer failing, well, if it does either you screwed up on the mod or you have put over 100k or so on it and it just rotted away. The spacer sits on the driveshaft and pushes against the end of the driveshaft and the edge of the u-joint. The U-joint and the driveshaft turn as one unit, so there is no rubbing or friction there, just whatever forces are put on it by the spring on the other end, which is not much really. So no wear.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

If the splines go all the way to the end you don't have a 750/850 FD. That blank spot where there are no splines is where the seal fits on the 750/850 FD.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Right Greg, that's what he said. They go to the end on his 11 FD and not on the 850 FD. He's asking if he can swap that part of the FD from the 1100 FD to the 850 FD. I had though about that, but along with a couple of other issues (like the bolt length on the 850/750 FD in there) I don't think that would work, plus it looks like you would end up having to completely reset up the FD after doing that swap, which would be more work and more likely to intercourse something up IMHO. Much better to add the little spacer in there IMHO.

Ok, so I'm not all that humble.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Alright that settles that then. I will use the spacer, the only other question is what would the nut tourque be on the 850 final drive? Is it in the rear end service notes that you can download on this page.
          Spooky

850 FD Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Spookysxs11 View Post
            Alright that settles that then. I will use the spacer, the only other question is what would the nut tourque be on the 850 final drive? Is it in the rear end service notes that you can download on this page.
            Yes and no. The spec is not the amount of torque on the nut, it's the amount of preload on the bearing, which is based on the torque on the nut, but it's not always the same and unfortunately they don't give a spec for used bearings, only for new, which normally isn't done that way.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The 850 is the same setup as the 750 Type II. So, what I have done in the past, is to put the FD on a wheel, tighten the nut down until I start to feel the increased resistance to the FD turning. If you try to tighten that nut to the full torque value given for a new crush washer, the FD will NOT turn at all. That "Preload" number is the amount of force it should take to turn the FD when you have that nut tightened.

If you want to get the feel of what the 4.5 inch pounds of force is, you can always take a 1lb fishing weight if you have one around, and hang on a pencil or similar. Now put the pencil hanging off the edge of a counter so the weight is four and a half inches from the edge of the counter. Now see how much force it takes to hold that pencil down on the counter pushing right at the edge of the counter.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

thank you everyone i will see what i come up with and let everyone know.
                Spooky

850 FD Mod

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  Right Greg, that's what he said. They go to the end on his 11 FD and not on the 850 FD. He's asking if he can swap that part of the FD from the 1100 FD to the 850 FD. I had though about that, but along with a couple of other issues (like the bolt length on the 850/750 FD in there) I don't think that would work, plus it looks like you would end up having to completely reset up the FD after doing that swap, which would be more work and more likely to intercourse something up IMHO. Much better to add the little spacer in there IMHO.

Ok, so I'm not all that humble.
                  Ahhhh......OK. Misread what it said. Sorry...................disregard.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                  X