learn me good on gauge functions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learn me good on gauge functions...

I am looking to replace both the speedo and tach on the 80XS. I have no idea what 2:1 means, or really what to look for on a tach or speedo. I can wire up whatever necessary, but want to make sure I get the right "type".

From what I'm decifering, the speedo & the tach on the bike are both electrically driven. Would this mean that I can pick up whatever type of gauge for either? In looking at Harley stuff, it seems many of the speedos state they are a 2:1 ratio. I tried the search function, but couldn't find anything that seems to specify anything outside of trouble shooting. Both work great, but I just can't live with the big square looks either

Change to the round instrument configuration off the Specials of the 1100 or 650's variety.......easier than the direction your headin'....JAT.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I did look into that. But that cluster is still a bit bulky for what I'm thinking.

Although I didn't know the 650 setup would work. I just passed a great deal on one... Darn it!

Comment

The speedo is mechanical and runs off of a cable to the front wheel, the tach runs off of alternator pulses.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

the speedo is some weird like 2.6:1 ratio or something like that....good luck getting an aftermarket speedo for that!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

None of the Harley stuff will work, as the calibration will be way off. Your OEM speedo is cable-driven, and Yamaha uses an oddball speedo ratio, 2.9:1. So your choices are OEM off most 70s/80s Yamahas, or look at the ones that Mikes XS sells. Look here: http://www.mikesxs.net/search.html?q=speedometer

Do ask/check to make sure the one you select has the correct ratio, as not all of his are so identified as having the 'correct' 60=2250 ratio (I suspect he's snuck a few HD units in there..).

Same problem with the tach; as was stated, the OEM tach gets it's signal off the alternator and I haven't seen any aftermarket unit that works that way. You might be able to use a 2-cylinder electronic unit, but you'll need to verify that. I'd stay away from the HD units, as they're calibrated for the odd firing sequence of the v-twin; the 650 units Mike's lists may work.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

When conversing with MikesXS(Not necesssarily Mike anymore since he allegedly sold his business, just kept the name), DO NOT state anything about your bike being anything other than a 650! So..when discussing the Speedos, just inquire as to the proper ratio as Steve stated.

If you've followed the link Steve provided, you would have seen that they do carry electronic tachs that will work on a variety of cylinders, and having one that will work on a 2 cylinder is what you want, because 1 of our coils fires 2 plugs using a wasted spark system, same as what a 2 cylinder bike and coil do. I've connected an old analog Volt/Tachometer to one of the trigger wires at the TCI, and it shows the proper value when reading the 4 cylinder scale and just doubling the value!

An aftermarket electronic tach would be connected to the negative(gray or orange) wires from the ignition spark plug coil, not the white wire at the headlight from the harness...as stated, it sends pulses from the ALT, and the XS11 tach is specially calibrated to measure/count them.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I too was looking to a replacement speedo and tach. I was looking at a digital cluster. The are nice, but very pricey. From what I can tell, remember I am no expert, They should work. The digital speedo uses a magnetic bolt that replaces one of the brake rotor bolts. Its a all in one unit that will also replace your turn signal, hi beam, oil light.

I think I saw them at denis kirk.
                Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  None of the Harley stuff will work, as the calibration will be way off. Your OEM speedo is cable-driven, and Yamaha uses an oddball speedo ratio, 2.9:1. So your choices are OEM off most 70s/80s Yamahas, or look at the ones that Mikes XS sells. Look here: http://www.mikesxs.net/search.html?q=speedometer

Do ask/check to make sure the one you select has the correct ratio, as not all of his are so identified as having the 'correct' 60=2250 ratio (I suspect he's snuck a few HD units in there..).

Same problem with the tach; as was stated, the OEM tach gets it's signal off the alternator and I haven't seen any aftermarket unit that works that way. You might be able to use a 2-cylinder electronic unit, but you'll need to verify that. I'd stay away from the HD units, as they're calibrated for the odd firing sequence of the v-twin; the 650 units Mike's lists may work.
                  thanks for the link. I think thats the direction I'll end up going.

Comment

Working...
                  X