Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

front brakes - right easy, left resistance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brakes - right easy, left resistance.

When I got the XJ11 last Oct, when pushing it or sitting on it I could turn right and push/walk it foreward with no problem. When turning left though it would have resistance and feel like the brakes were dragging. turn the wheel a bit more straight and it eased. Going straight or with the wheel to the right was no problem. I assumed the L caliper was sticking.

I've rebuilt all three calipers and replaced all hoses with Teflon lines with SS braid. While moving the bike inside & out of the garage to work on the engine I see the problem is still there which means it's not the lines, brakes or calipers that is at issue. When the calipers were off the wheel turned freely and I didn't notice this problem.

Idears?
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

I don't know why it would feel more resistant turning to the left but it won't be brakes. Brakes would affect it ALL the time. Right, left, foward or backward.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I should have titled this as wheel rotation, not brakes. Realized that too late to change it..

I can only think that when the brakes /calipers are off there's no problem but when on, there is. Not sure what that means as to what's off but I know the calipers /brakes/hoses went on easy & with no issues.
      Last edited by KA1J; 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Clean the spooge hole

My theory is when turning left you are squeezing the hose enough to create brake pressure. This wouldnt happen if return hole wasnt blocked as there is nowhere for that mild pressure to go but push the piston.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

The only thing I can think of that makes sense is possibly a loose wheel bearing binding the rotor on the caliper in left turn conditions.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

JW, Yeah, that was on my mind when I rebuilt the brakes & I cleared the spooge hole in the MC. I checked to see if there was any binding with the new brake lines and there's no tugging at full rotation on either of the lines.

BA, would such a thing be silent? There's no bearing noises when I move the bike.

FWIW, If for discussion's sake a wheel rotates 45 degrees from straight, the issue begins to come on at roughly 15-20 degrees of turn to the left.

Comment

What John is saying is possible but not probable as far as I can see.

Possibly rear swingarm alignment or bent frame?
              Last edited by BA80; 08-21-2011, 11:46 AM.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I'll throw this out there for checking... maybe it's the brake hose (the braided varity is stiffer than rubber hoses) causing the caliper to pivot on its mounting bolt. I know there's been comments about the braided lines for the XS needing some 'twisting' of the ends to get them to align, maybe the hose is moving the caliper. I would think any bearing that loose you should be able to spot by applying off-axis pressure to it...

JAT
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
                  JW, Yeah, that was on my mind when I rebuilt the brakes & I cleared the spooge hole in the MC. I checked to see if there was any binding with the new brake lines and there's no tugging at full rotation on either of the lines.

BA, would such a thing be silent? There's no bearing noises when I move the bike.

FWIW, If for discussion's sake a wheel rotates 45 degrees from straight, the issue begins to come on at roughly 15-20 degrees of turn to the left.
                  Just put the bike on the center stand and get something under the front of the frame to hold the front wheel off the ground so you can check for side to side movement.

Just brain stormin' and throwing things out there, stuff to check.

You said it only does it with the calipers installed, push the pistons all the way in and try it with the calipers installed. If it still does it its not hydraulic it's mechanical.

JAT
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I have fought this problem for over a year as well. I have been unable to isolate it. Mine is minor, but it is also with a left turn. I am starting to think that it is wear in the caliper mounting.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                    A quick death and an easy one.
                    A pretty girl and an honest one.
                    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                      I have fought this problem for over a year as well. I have been unable to isolate it. Mine is minor, but it is also with a left turn. I am starting to think that it is wear in the caliper mounting.
                      I'm wondering how the caliper would move without applying the brake Newb?
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Mine is "minor" in that it didn't slow down the bike when I was turning during the couple of weeks I rode it. It was obvious when the bike was stopped and I'd turn the wheel left and start to walk when sitting on it, or when jockeying the bike into position while off the bike and pushing it while holding the handlebars. The resistance at max wheel rotation was noticeable but in riding that degree of wheeling left would never be encountered.

So not an issue for riding but I know it shouldn't be there at all and I want to find the problem gone.

I know the right rotor had been changed in the past as there was some of that yellow paint marker recyclers use on the inner part of it. Both rotors look the same though and both are thick and showing very little use.

I did... think replacing all the hoses, brakes and rebuilding the calipers would have resolved the problems from last year.

Would a problem with the forks cause this? I didn't notice any tracking issues when driving it last year. Still don't have it running right now but it is acting as before, no improvement & it's not any worse.

Comment

BA80
                          on the Special, the caliper has a little slop, because of the way the caliper mounts, so the minor slop could allow movement when the head is turned. I have moved my hoses around, up and down. On the plus side, this has not bothered me while riding, and this has been 10,000 miles this last year.
                          1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

I know how the caliper mounts and works. I have 3 specials. None of which this problem occurs on.

I still dont understand your thinking. The calipers don't do anything by themselves.

Not trying to be arguementive, I just don't see your reasoning. If the piston isn't actuated the caliper just hangs there. Something mechanical would have to move the caliper/pads into the rotor, or the rotor would have to be moved ,somehow, into the caliper/ pads.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

You are right in your thinking Greg. Just got a fart caught sideways. Mine has been going so long, i quit worrying about it.
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Working...
                              X