Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak

I Just bought my 78 XS11 about a week ago. After about 10 hours of cleaning, I found an oil leak comming from the weep hole in the alternator cover. It looks like 4 to 5 drops a day are comming out (best guess, not a big spot on my floor). How bad is this and can it be repaired without an engine tear down?

Weeping Oil

Hey there Allornot65,

That oil is coming from the crankshaft seal behind the stator. Regrettably, those seals are put in with the case split in half, so you can't just hammer a new one on like on a car! As far as I know, the oil won't necessarily cause any damage to the charging system since it's brushless. So since it's only a few drops, you should be able to live with it, albeit a little messy!
    Guess that's another reason they put the weep hole there!?

Ride on! T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Got same problem, other side.
      Changed the oil seal twice... same thing. No idea what to do next.
      Gotta pull the engine, no need to pull off the top, just yank out the camchain tensioner, rotor, and the bottom half. The crank should move just far enough from the upper crankcase to replace the oil seal. Be ready for some cursing. Especially if theres no effect when repaired.

LP

PS: saw a NOS engine case on german ebay the other day. Wanna.
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

RE: oil leak

I once tried to run my bike without the stator in it. An oil seal popped out and blew across the garage and covered me in oil in the process. It was an easy fix. That seal didn't require splitting of any cases. If I remember correctly, it is held in place by the alternator cover.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Not the same seal... the crankshaft seal has a groove thingie to fit in, theres rotor that prevents it flying off,...

LP

Comment

Hey there Strom,

I know from my limited experiences with V-8's and such, that the front crankshaft seals could wear a groove in the crankshaft, and even after putting on a new seal, it could/would still leak because the worn groove prevented the new seal from sealing against the "smaller" crankshaft around the groove, and they used to make/sell sleeves even for them to put on with a new seal, but I'm sure they don't have that for the XS!! Not sure what you could do aside from what you suggested, a new engine/crankshaft!?
            T.C.

Originally posted by strom
            Got same problem, other side.
            Changed the oil seal twice... same thing. No idea what to do next.
            Gotta pull the engine, no need to pull off the top, just yank out the camchain tensioner, rotor, and the bottom half. The crank should move just far enough from the upper crankcase to replace the oil seal. Be ready for some cursing. Especially if theres no effect when repaired.

LP
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have an oil leak around the cam chain tensioner adjustment. does any one have any suggestions. Thanks 'Dog

Comment

Hey, 'Dog, check out this article
                If it is not the plug in the end of the adjuster, it will be the gasket between the adjuster and the block and that is easy to fix too.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks Ken, I went looking foe a link this morning under oil and lubrication, without success. Later 'Dog

Comment

The Clymers manual says to make sure that the crankcase breather is not plugged. I have installed a breather filter instead of the stock routing to the carbs airbox. I have noticed that if the filter becomes restricted, the tensioner and other areas start leaking oil. It is something to check...
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks Skid, I'll double check that too. Later 'Dog

Comment

TC, that would be a possibility... but when I had the whole engine apart, both sides seemed fine, witout grooves or scratches and stuff... but these things cant always be seen with a naked eye.
                        I guess I could try and get a bit smaller one, but I dont think i'll find it.

These oil seals have springs in them... what if I get a smaller spring, put more pressure on the crankshaft?

On the other hand, the engine is on the way out. Head screams for retirement, some scoring where the valve springs are on one side, makes some noise when running, some oil leaks from areas no oil should leak... but that can be explained by fuel seeping in the oil. Luckily I found that out before anything seized.
                        The engine is burning oil, but... petrol in oil again...
                        I guess I need a leakdown tester.
                        The engine case was banged on sth hard at one time, since theres a large area on the bottom right side missing/patched up. There is also a hole in the middle of the oil pan, rather ugly repair made, but since it holds oil, I didn't mess with it.
                        I guess I need a new crank, engine case, big bore kit, and engine head. Gotta win the lottery.
                        The good thing is... I got me a good gearbox with new 2nd gear installed, I got me a working clutch, new main hyvo chain, new camchain, new crankshaft bearings, new middle drive bearings, good oil pump,...
                        I saw a NOS crankcase on ebay... sorry I missed the bid. A NOS head was on too...
                        Anyhoo... gotta get busy on the carbs leaking fuel into the case, so I gotta get me some sleep.
                        If you see a nice engine on ebay.de lemme know.

LP

Comment

New Hy-Vo? Can you still get them?
                          Marty in NW PA
                          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Probbably... I got my Hy-vo with the bike... along with a new camchain (the PO didn't know he had) and 2nd gear cogs and forks. Non of the above installed.
                            I think the dealer said they can get em... I think I was checking the prices. (I paid whatever PO paid for these new parts... so bike was practically free).

Comment

Working...
                            X