No announcement yet.

High Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You did synch the carbs at or near idle speed didn't you? If you synch them at say 2500 rpms, they will be way off near idle.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Rather than buy new boots, go to the hardware store and buy "liquid tape" which is much like what is on the top of a Maker's Mark bottle. It is black thick liquid plastic & there's a built in brush on the cap. Paint the boots with this stuff and in minutes it will be dry to the touch. If you do several thin applications you can just about completely obscure any sign of cracking.

My boots were badly cracked on the outside and beautiful on the inside. I did see cracking around the metal vacuum tubes so I was going to fill all the cracks first with liquid JB weld but thought better of it because I want the boots to be pliable & having solid pieces of JB weld throughout would probably cause me trouble so instead I used that liquid tape to fill in all the cracks and then I finished by covering the boots with 5-6 coats of Liquid tape. Maybe a bit excessive but what the heck, my boots are truly good as new.

This wasn't my idea but it sure works great.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Idle circuit O-rings ????

i wanted to come back to this thread because i have the same problem as the initial post. high idle "after warming up". 6k rpm + ...my plugs are black so i am going to say it isnt a lean mixture. it isnt a hanging high idle...it takes off on its own after warm up, like if you left the choke on !!! i replaced my boots with new ones so that wasnt it. the old ones were not cracked thru... when the idle takes off (usually on its own) i can knock it back down by pulling the choke out quickly and then back in. if i leave the choke out it stalls. i am thinking maybe O-rings on the choke plungers are bad ??? or O-rings somewhere in the idle circuit? could someone enlighten me... dont want to find out the hard way again.
        Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
        1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

Working...
        X