#2 carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #2 carb problem

ok guys so ive checke dthe compression on all my cylinders. its about 150 at running temp. my problem lies in #2 carb its getting WAYYY too much ful that it fouled out that plug. do i need to adjust the idle/mixture srew out or in to lean that cylinder? its runnung so rich that the header pipe is warm but you can hold it while the bike is running. ive had this problem ever since i got the bike.

Screwing it in will lean it out, but only at idle.

Have you ever had the carbs out? Checked float levels? Are you getting a consistent spark to that cylinder compared to the others? Have you synced the carbs?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sounds like an ignition problem if you can touch the pipe. Might want to start checking the spark, maybe clipping off a 1/4-1/2 inch of the spark plug wire and putting the cap back on...
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

i have clipped it and taken them off. Im pretty shure the screw is 2 turns out. ill try to turn it back in a turn and get back asap.

Comment

Aside from Clipping the wire end, have you measured the resistance of the plug cap? The internal resistor and contacts can corrode and can create a much higher resistance which can reduce the spark strength on that plug.

If the caps measure the same resistance, then you can SWAP the plug wires/caps for the shared cylinders, and then see IF the black plug moves to the swapped cylinder or stays where it is. IF it moves with the wire, then it could also be a failing coil only putting out enough power to fire 1 of the 2 plugs on it since the spark has to go thru the first wire/cap/plug, then engine, then other plug/cap/wire back to the coil, and if it's low on Kvolts, may not have enough oomph to fire the second plug...which might be your black plug!?

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hey T.C,

my coils have the wire made into them so i cant swap them out. if i switch the wires on 2 and 3 nothing changes. im ordering a new set of carb boots tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X