cam chain off the crank sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam chain off the crank sprocket

Rebuilding the top half of the engine with the engine in the bike... The cam chain is back on now. Thanks to guidance from Crazy Steve I found the problem I was having getting the cams to sync with the crank.

The cam chain was off the sprocket but wedged inside towards the #1 cylinder side so it very much felt and acted like it was engaged, yet spongy. I was getting eratic results when moving the crank.

The cam chain was off to the side of the crankshaft sprocket. I tried for the longest time to get it to go on but it persisted in staying to the left side of the sprocket (towards #1 cylinder).

What I finally did to get it on was to lean the bike about 15-20 degrees towards # 4 cylinder & rest the bike against me & a wall so it couldn't fall over and I could have gravity bring the chain towards the #4 side. With that steep angle, the chain when loosened fell downward and when I felt the slack, a hard pull upward secured it on the crank sprocket.

I then used a Bungie as Steve suggested to keep the chain engaged and from there it was simply figuring which teeth the cam sprockets need to be set in to have the cams in sync with the crankshaft.

Prolly old hat to the old timers but it was what it took for me to get over that hump. Just passing the info on to the next guy or gal...
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Good work on that. It is one of those tricky parts of putting one together, chain on a sprocket you can't see, and lots of parts to get in the way.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

This senario caused me 2 bent valves.
      finally checked with a strong light down the cam tunnel and sure enough chain saw off to the side.
      This is a double, triple check alert when putting an engine back together.

Rick
      XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
      650SF
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
      XS1100SG Project bike
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X