Going Apes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Apes!!

Ok, so I got a sweet set of 12" apes for the XS1100 for free from a buddy with grips and all......however the apes are 1". Anyone use the 7/8 to 1" adapters from scootworks? Or do you have a way this would work? I'd hate to think I need to just go purchace new ones from TC Chopper with the forward controls, but I guess I could ebay/craigslist the 1" too. Any ideas?
    DirtyNasty

79 XS1100SF (POW MIA theme)

I pray for clouds, because I know there won't be any HD or fair day riders out!

Your biggest problems will of course be the 7/8 to 1" adapters, which I'm guessing any 7/8 to 1" should work, but you will have to adapt the controls on the bars to the bike, as you won't be able to use the bikes controls since they won't fit on the bars. So you'll need a master cylinder, turn signal control, starter button, horn button etc (don't need the starter button if you don't use the starter), likely a kill switch, as some states require them, dimmer switch for the headlight etc. I'm not sure it would be worth the work to me, it might be easier to come up with the money for 7/8 apes that you can use your own controls on and all you have to do is extend the wires, which is pretty much dead easy to do in comparison.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyNasty View Post
      Ok, so I got a sweet set of 12" apes for the XS1100 for free from a buddy with grips and all......however the apes are 1". Anyone use the 7/8 to 1" adapters from scootworks? Or do you have a way this would work? I'd hate to think I need to just go purchace new ones from TC Chopper with the forward controls, but I guess I could ebay/craigslist the 1" too. Any ideas?
      Hi Bill,
      you gotta bore out the 7/8" controls that will accept it to fit the 1" bar, the rest you gotta replace with 1" units.
      The bastards won't fit on the 'tree neither because the bolts are too close together.You can fit a pair of 7/8" to 1" setbacks but there went another $95 + postage.
      So yes it can be done and yes, it will cost like crazy.
      Best you find a good home for the 1" apes and buy a pair of 7/8" ones that'll bolt straight on the bike.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Apes

Thanks for the info! I'm just going to buy them when I get the forward controls. Save time and effort to say the least! ha ha.
        DirtyNasty

79 XS1100SF (POW MIA theme)

I pray for clouds, because I know there won't be any HD or fair day riders out!

Comment

Working...
        X