Clutch won't disengage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch won't disengage

If you followed my post http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33670 you will see I had quite time keeping the bike running while in gear.

Now that I can keep the bike running in gear, I can't get it out of gear. The scenario goes like this: the bike is the neutral, I started it up, pull in the clutch lever and drop it into first gear (there is quite big loud clank/bang), and the rear wheel spins. Then, when I pull in the clutch lever the bike remains in gear with the rear wheel spinning.

I have started the bike in first gear, second gear and fifth gear and the results are identical. The loud clang/bang I get is shifting into gear while the while the clutch is engaged.

I have adjusted the slack in the clutch cable. I followed the Clymer's manual and made the clutch adjustment under the clutch cover, and nothing has changed. Keeping in mind this bike sat for 10 years, I am wondering if the clutch is seized or something is amiss in the clutch. Maybe the PO "squeezed the clutch lever and the steel balls in the adjuster housing were dislocated" as per Clymer's manual caution on page 40.

Or maybe the clutch plates are just all seized up and I need to take the clutch apart to get them apart. Any advice or ideas before I start the tear down.

David
    1981 XS1100 Special
    Previous Bikes
    1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
    1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
    1982 Honda CB900c
    1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
    1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

If the bike/motor has sat for a long while, this is pretty typical. As a worst case, you may need to disassmble the clutch and re-oil everything. But before you go there, try this; start the bike on the centerstand, and put it into gear. With the clutch still pulled in, step on the rear brake. This may kill the motor (give a bit of throttle), but repeat at least 6-8 times or until the clutch 'breaks loose'. Once it's loose, oil will work it's way back in and you should be good to go.

I had the same problem on my SG, and after I got it freed up, it's working fine...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

One thing to give a quick try to and see if you can break if free (probably won't work but it's worth a try) is (ok, this is two things) to get it in gear, then with the clutch lever pulled in and making sure your giving it some gas to keep it from dying, press firmly on the rear brake pedal (trying to stop it), this MIGHT break the clutch plates free (they are very likely just stuck together after sitting this long). The other thing to try is similar, but you need to have it in neutral, and while holding the rear brake on FIRMLY, drop it into first gear.

This may well not work, but it's work a try and it might work, and hey, it's an easy thing to try as well, just make sure the rear wheel is off the ground when you do this. There are some other things I'm sure others will suggest as well that have a chance at working, but all of them work on the same principle, which is to try and force/shock the plates into releasing from each other. Otherwise your talking about taking the clutch pack apart, and if you get that far, you may as well put new springs in while you in there, cheap to do and good insurance against slipping.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

There, you see? You guys CAN agree on some things
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

The "run the engine in gear while holding it the clutch and repeatedly applying the rear brake" worked!!! When I let the clutch out the rear wheel still spins but the slightest pressure on the brake stops it. I am sure the clutch will completely free up with a little use.

Thanks Steve and Cy.

David
          1981 XS1100 Special
          Previous Bikes
          1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
          1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
          1982 Honda CB900c
          1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
          1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
            And as you can see, we can even while doing so BOTH be right .
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

A guy that raced Brit bikes taught me how he unstuck his plates every time before starting the bike. With the bike in first and the clutch lever pulled in, get the bike rolling and dump the clutch, with the motor off. This shocks the clutch enough so it doesn't clunk when ya put it in gear.

After some regular riding the clutch will loosen up but a good cleaning of the fibers and steels wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                I think I have to mark this date in my calendar!
                1980 XS 1100 Special
                Mostly stock & original
                Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
                Torpedo bags
                New paint (still) pending
                Stainless brake lines
                Tkat forkbrace
                Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
                1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
                1977 Yamaha 650

Comment