750 FD swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 FD swap

I was wondering if anyone here knows where the idea to swap final drives originated from? After a fellow XSer examined my 79 special,they informed me that mine has been swapped. I find it interesting since my dad was the only previous owner & he passed away 2 years before these posts & was sick a long time before that. Anyhow,since I cant ask him where he got the idea,I thought maybe someone would know if there was a more mainstream source that suggested the swap.Thx for any info
    It's just me at the edge..........waving

Here is the original post from back in 2006 but the pics are missing............

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11703

Here it is with the pics..............

http://xs11.46.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

My understanding was that it had been talked about even before that, but don't know if anybody had done it.

Are you SURE it's been swapped? There are a few ways to be sure, one is to remove the FD (which should be done every so often to grease the drive shaft rear splines anyways) and see how far the drive shaft sticks out of the swing arm housing. If it's about even with the opening, it's really doubtful it's a 750 FD, if it's sticking out around an inch or so (really really round numbers here) then yeah, it's swapped.

You can also check the part number on the FD, as well as the RPM's at 60 in 5th gear. I believe it might have been that someone might have had a way to do it before, but it may have been more involved, with a custom drive shaft involved or such, rather than just the simple spacer that we use now.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

It is definitely a 750FD. I checked the number on it. Started as a discussion of revs.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          It is definitely a 750FD. I checked the number on it. Started as a discussion of revs.
          Ok, if YOU checked it then I/we know it's been checked correctly. Since he didn't mention who checked it, I didn't know if it was someone who would have known to check the right things, but I know you would know. It would be interesting to see how the mod was done in this case, but I'm not sure if it would be interesting enough to pull it apart to see .
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

No worries Cy. I have helped do some work on that bike, but have not had the rear wheel off it or the FD.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Well, if he had thrown you under the bus by telling us it was you who identified it as a 750FD, I would never have question it being one. An unknown member, I have to ask if certain things have been checked, but a known member who knows what they are doing, there is no reason to question, as I/we know quite well that you know how to tell a 750FD from an 1100FD .
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Hey QR and DG,

That's Awesome! QR, was your dad a mechanic? Yes, would be very interesting to see if he modded the driveshaft, or also used the collar/extender?? How many miles would you say you've put on the bike? We have no way of knowing WHEN he did the swap, but you know when you took over riding it from him. Shame he didn't know about this site to share his tech info with us years ago!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Dad Passed away in 2004

He was sick from 2003 on.I'm going to do some inquiring ,ask some of his buddies&see what I can find out.... I thought the bike had set for damn near 10 years when I got it. Yes my dad was a good mechanic/welder/electrician .....the list goes on & on.He was just so mechanically inclined & could do or fix anything he set his mind to,,,There were always people at his( backyard)garage for repairs,,I do however ,remember him telling me that he had to find someone who was good on the carbs,,,,, Thx to the Gurus from SWOXS( Doug & Don ) & you guys here on the main board...... The bikes up & running like a dream At 70mph I'm only running between 4000 & 4500 rpms.On our ride sunday,I rode a 92 miles stretch & topped it off with 2.225 gallons which works out to a little over 41 mpg.Of course Doug has color tuned the bike for me so I know its at its best mixture wise. I'll try to get a hold of his buddies over the next few days,I'm really curious myself
                  Cy you are correct in getting the info from DG,he's much more informed about these bikes than I am..... I love to ride but I am not the mechanic my father was

Comment

The bike was put back on the road last year

TC I don't remember the mileage before I started riding it again, but its got 62k on it right now.I can tell you that it still runs like a scalded dog & even before Doug straightened it up,would scare the $hit out of anyone daring to climb aboard I remember the first shop I took it to,the guy zipped up the road & came back white-faced & said that bikes fast ! I just chuckled.......

Comment

Working...
                    X