Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard was it to change your LEFT Rear Bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard was it to change your LEFT Rear Bearings?

Hey Folks,

I received a PM recently with a suggested technique for removing the rear wheel bearings from the wheel. I haven't had the "pleasure" of having to do this yet(But I have my New left rear bearing! ). Anyways, the member described lots of trouble getting the old one out, and was instructed to take a modest torch to the wheel/hub to help heat it, expand it's grip etc., and he was able to then gently tap it out, and while still warm was able to insert the new one also with ease and mild tapping!

SO...want to hear from others who have tried to follow the tech tip technique for removing the rear bearings, and what level of trouble and techniques did you have to perform to get them out??

I want to add the Torch technique as an addendum, but would like to hear others stories/techniques for possible inclusion in the addendum.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Mine popped right out really easy, once I paid attention to what I was doing so I could get the RIGHT side one out first.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

another way is to remove the clutch hub and press the bearing out of the hub. New bearing in the freezer the night before, it goes in like flynn.
      Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I just tapped it out with a punch and cleaned it and regreased it and then put it back in by just tapping it back in. After I ended up getting a new bearing so I tapped it back out and put it in the shelf for a backup. Didn't need to do anything special.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Did mine the same as Nate did TC. On like 5 different wheels now.

I have a couple of spares and 2 projects going.

Yeah......don't say it.......My name is Greg and I AM an addict.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I removed right side bearing first (of course) and then tapped mine out using the two slots which allow a punch/rod/whatever to be inserted through the hub and tap either side, alternately. Mine came out easily enough.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
            X