Timing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Question

Ok, I have the new diaphrams in the bike, the carbs balanced, but it still ran like crap. I went ahead and started messing with the timing after I checked the pickup wires, TCI, coils and put on new NGK plug caps and plugs. I kept advancing the timing and blipping the throttle intil it was smooth. Went back and resynced the carbs and gave it a run. The bike has never pulled harder than it does now, so..... Is having the timing advanced 5 degrees something that others have had to do? I seem to to recall someone having that in their signature. I guess the proper question is whether others have had to diviate from the stock timing setting. Just curious.
    1979XS1100SF
    K&N's and drilled airbox
    Jardine 4in1
    Dunlop Elite 3's
    JBM slide diaphragms
    142.5 main jets
    45 pilot jets
    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
    750/850 FD mod.
    XV 920 Needle Mod.
    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

I run both mine up a few degrees, seem to be quicker in the low RPM range but I lose some top end. I also have to run at least 89 octane.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

hi tim, just keep an ear out for any pinging, if it starts 2 ping u could try a higher octane fuel or just bump down the timing a cpl of degrees.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Hey Tim,

Glad to hear the new carb vac. slide diaphragms are working well!

Are you sure that your timing indicator needle/pointer hadn't gotten bumped or moved accidentally or by PO? Have you checked the timing plate indicator and needle alignment with a dial gauge thru the spark plug hole to verify TRUE TDC? The Needle/indicator could be off...5 degrees isn't much really. IIRC, the static BTDC timing for idle was 10 degrees, but I think it was retarded by 5 in the later years, again for emissions, and I, too remember reading about folks tweaking theirs a bit more advanced!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Right now the bike is starting with a touch of the button, so whatever I did is working. I am not hearing any pinging, so thats a good thing with the crappy gas we have around here. I wonder if themarine blend of Stabil would help. They advertise that it will stop problems that are caused by ethanol in gas that is used in outboard engines.
          1979XS1100SF
          K&N's and drilled airbox
          Jardine 4in1
          Dunlop Elite 3's
          JBM slide diaphragms
          142.5 main jets
          45 pilot jets
          T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
          750/850 FD mod.
          XV 920 Needle Mod.
          Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
          Venture Cam Chain Tensioner