Colortune question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colortune question

Do those of you who have a Colortune have a set that is for only 14MM long reach, or is it a 10MM with an adapter to fit 14MM?
    And does anybody, who has a 10MM setup, know where I can get the copper washer that is supposed to come with the set, short of paying 12 pounds shipping and handling?
    Thanks, CZ

The one I have is the 14mm.

You might find the washer at your local hardware store. I know mine has a few.

Ozz
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

FWIW, I bought both the colortune & Carbtune and I don't recall a copper gasket coming with the set. Perhaps if there is a 10mm adapter you get one with the adapter?

Love them both.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
        The one I have is the 14mm.

You might find the washer at your local hardware store. I know mine has a few.

Ozz
        Howdy Wizz,
        The literature says that the washer is a round section solid copper washer. Is yours a regular hollow spark plug gasket, the kind with some fibers inside, that crush when you torque them down? If so, I have a bunch of them.
        I may give them a try.
        Thanks for any further clarification, CZ

Comment

I got the 14mm and the 10mm adaptor. The each came with their own copper washer.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
            Howdy Wizz,
            The literature says that the washer is a round section solid copper washer. Is yours a regular hollow spark plug gasket, the kind with some fibers inside, that crush when you torque them down? If so, I have a bunch of them.
            I may give them a try.
            Thanks for any further clarification, CZ

Its a solid copper washer that does not crush down. I don't see why you could not use the fiber ones. Just don't tighten the colortune too much or you can crack the glass.

1980 XS 1100SG
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Mine is the 14mm one. It came with a copper washer that was actually a tubular shape. Kinda like a hollow donut, so when you tighten it down the first time, it crushed it into place. After the first application, the washer won't come off. No idea where to get them though...
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                Mine is the 14mm one. It came with a copper washer that was actually a tubular shape. Kinda like a hollow donut, so when you tighten it down the first time, it crushed it into place. After the first application, the washer won't come off. No idea where to get them though...
                That kind would have been nice, the washer I got was a flat washer and it is sort of a pain getting in on cylinders 2 and 3 cause the washer falls off the plug.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You could also use copper spark plug indexing washers also.

1980 XS 1100SG
                  Pod Filters
                  DynoJet Kit
                  T.C.'s Fuse Block
                  V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys.
                    I went dumpster diving at the local racers shop, and pulled some crush washers off of some used plugs. One of them screwed on, due to having three nubbins spaced around the inside circumfrence of the washer, and it wasn't smashed clear flat, having been on a plug that was installed with a torque wrench, (meticulous mechanic), so I'll try that. The others went on the fill and drain plug of the 850 final drive, ( yes, I like it ) and a couple in the spare parts can.
                    If it DOESN'T work, I'll be sure to let you know about it.
                    I got a reply from Colortune, and two would cost six Pounds PP! God save the Queen, I'll save my money. CZ

Comment

Working...
                    X