Rear Master Cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Master Cylinder?

I am in the process of rebuilding my rear master cylinder with a K & L kit and am trying to figure out how to get the seals, in particular the lower one on the shaft? It seems that the seal is to small to go over the top flange on the shaft without destroying it. The kit I am using is # MSR-212 which I got from GeorgeFix. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what I am doing wrong.

Originally posted by DCII View Post
    I am in the process of rebuilding my rear master cylinder with a K & L kit and am trying to figure out how to get the seals, in particular the lower one on the shaft? It seems that the seal is to small to go over the top flange on the shaft without destroying it. The kit I am using is # MSR-212 which I got from GeorgeFix. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what I am doing wrong.
    I did my rear and front seals. I know what you mean. It looks impossible to get that central hole in the seal over the flange without it breaking but it will go. A good lubricant for the job is silicone spray or lighter fluid (followed by a good wash).
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

They recommend you soak them in brake fluid first for about 15min. I used a thin hook tool to get it over the lip.
      1980 XS1100G
      -4:2 exhaust
      -Pods
      -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Originally posted by New2Me View Post
        They recommend you soak them in brake fluid first for about 15min. I used a thin hook tool to get it over the lip.
        Yes, I used a small lever. I don't like using brake fluid as a lubricant though, as it's so easy (if you are me) to get it on your hands, then on your paintwork, or frame and then watch the paint get ruined!
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thanks for the reply to my question, I was able to get the seals on never thought they would stretch that much. Now to get the caliper bled and find one of the little washers from the top of the master cylinder that fell somewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X