Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coils

where is the best place to get coils from. Mike's xs doesn.t ship to Canada.
    Looking for a set of accell's or something just as good
    82 XJ1100
    Regina,Saskatchewan,
    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Does anybody have the part # for the accell couils that work on the XJ
    82 XJ1100
    Regina,Saskatchewan,
    Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

I also need to know what to order for wires and resistor caps.
      82 XJ1100
      Regina,Saskatchewan,
      Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Mike's XS don't ship anywhere except the USA. When I asked re shipping to the UK, I received a one-word e-mail which said "No". In any event, their coils are, by all accounts, pretty poor quality. There are numerous threads here about them failing after very short times.

I used green 3 Ohm Dyna coils and removed my ballast resistor. I bought mine from the USA. There are several places which provide better coils, and manners, than Mike's XS, I found.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

BikeBandit.com ships everywhere... I believe. They showed this for an 82 XJ1100 for $189. It includes 2 coils. I do not know if the units in the pic are the ones for a Yamaha but none the less its the pic to the application. They list others as well in their"Aftermarket" title. OEM ones are still available- but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

The dyna coils are cheaper than the accels. I personally would not buy the coils from mikesxs or xs650direct, the Canadian site.

Ozz
            Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
            Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
            Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

would the first set listed work with the wires that they have as an extra?

http://www.dynoman.net/ignition/dynacoils.html
              82 XJ1100
              Regina,Saskatchewan,
              Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

found these too

http://store.prestoliteperformance.c...ils-black.html
                82 XJ1100
                Regina,Saskatchewan,
                Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

The first set will work, but the second set won't, as it's for CDI ignition which the XS doesn't have. Do some searching on eBay; I got the Dyna coils for under $120 including shipping....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by lancelot455 View Post
                    Here's the Canadian store for MikesXS

http://www.xs650direct.com/

Originally posted by James England
                    Mike's XS don't ship anywhere except the USA.
                    Ummmm... must be just just a UK thing. Mikes home page states the ship to US, Central and South America, Australia and New Zealand. And they list distributors for other parts of the world. Closest distrubutor to the UK is probably Germany, so not to far away.

Manners, well thats another matter. Dont tell them you have anything other than a 650 if you want any kind of service.
                    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                      Manners, well thats another matter. Dont tell them you have anything other than a 650 if you want any kind of service.
                      Strangely enough, I didn't. I think the one-word response was therefore the 'well-mannered' version. I'm not sure what it would have been if I'd mentioned another bike. There's no shortage of coils, so I was perfectly happy to spend my money elsewhere and, as things turned out, I got far better coils, for less.
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Just so no one freaks out unneccesarily, Mikes Green coils have so far provided good use and service, its the black ones that seem to be short lived.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Wrong page

Originally posted by lancelot455 View Post
                          Hi Mike,
                          scroll down the US Mikes main page & hit the little Canadian flag.
                          And James, there's little Dutch & German flags there too.
                          Or go here:-
                          http://www.xs650direct.com/
                          They have a warehouse that sends stuff from someplace in Ontario with a week or less turnaround time.
                          Not that I'd recommend their coils, my son had trouble with the green coil he put on his XS650.
                          OTOH, there's some stuff they sell that's hard to find elsewhere and works well.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'm using Part #17-6810 from http://www.xs650direct.com/products-27.html with no problems so far. Admittedly, I don't have all that many miles on them yet.

These are the "Green Mike's XS" coils... as mentioned above, XS650direct is the Canadian distributor for Mike's XS.

I got my spark caps from Canadian Tire, and the spark wire from a local bike shop. If you're going to use spark plugs with a resistor, then you can get caps with as little resistance as possible. It's hard to find them with less than 5k ohms, but from what I gather, it doesn't really matter too much how much resistance you have on the high voltage side of the coils. Because of the shape of the head, I bought two long reach spark plug caps, and two short reach.

Good luck!
                            '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Z enterprizes in the usa

Hey Lancelot 455: I got a set of dyna coils from the above with matching yellow wires for the coils. They are working great. I had a hard time getting anything in Cda. Unless you go with the cdn mikes xs web site & get the green ones. But for around the same $$ you can get the name brand dyna ones. Mine are working fine - i think it was around $225 with shipping if I remember right. Did the mastercard thing on the website - Dan
                              '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                              1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                              Rebuilt head, valves
                              TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                              Tkat Fork Brace
                              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                              Dyna Coils & wires
                              Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                              ISO grips with stelleto ends
                              4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                              Bridgestone Spitfires
                              Tuned by Tinman905
                              & a will to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X