Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on it.

Last post...very helpful

Anywho, I did finish my inspection after yanking carbs. I have pics that will give almost everyone a very good clue as to what the deal is...

Top image, number 3

bottom, number 4. 1 and 2 look just as clean
    On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

Comment

Success?

NOoooo!!!

Sometimes being a Guru has it's downside.

Comment

So the valve isnt stuck...what the heck caused all this crud?

Comment

I think the valve is worn in the valve guide and the valve seal is damaged. This would allow oil to follow the valve stem and enter the combustion chamber
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

So it's time to pull the head

Comment

Or just the seal is dried out and letting oil leak in. Before pulling the head I'd try some automotive seal renew, use about a half a bottle in an oil change, it may well make it stop, as long as the seal is just dried out and hasn't cracked and ended up damaged. Any time I put an engine in service that's sat for a long time is to put that stuff in, as it will help with seals that are dried out. It might not help, but at worst it won't hurt anything.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Fixing the seal won't cure my non firing issue though...will it???

Comment

Originally posted by dashingEMT View Post
                  Fixing the seal won't cure my non firing issue though...will it???
                  If the seal on that valve is really the problem then making it stop leaking would then eliminate the oil getting into the cylinder, and presumably the oil is what is causing the plug to foul out.

How many miles have YOU put on this bike? How long have you had it?
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Certainty is only for Fools but.......

My Opinion: F'sure.

Sure,doubtless, enduring, firm, fixed, for a fact, free from doubt, genuine, incontestable, incontrovertible, indisputable, indubitable, never-failing, persuaded, positive, real, satisfied.

If it was firing with an air/fuel (Plus YUCK) mixture before then remove the Yuck and...

Tah Dah!!!!
                    Last edited by Larrym; 08-14-2011, 05:27 PM. Reason: F'shizzle M'nizzle???

Comment

I've put just over a hundred. Not too much. The story goes...bought it from a guy for $150. Guy is a Harley builder. He said it had been sitting "about a year". It was last registered in 2008 and the guy who owned it before him had it taken away because it was out of reg and he couldn't afford the tow so it went on lien. He told me he rebuilt the carbs (which I believe because they are pristine) and it ran no problem after that. He did some minor electrical, painted it and then it sat a few months. I talked him into selling it to me since it wasn't his style of bike.

Comment

So I'm probably not going to do it until next Saturday, but it doesn't look like there is enough clearance to pull the head while still on the frame. Any tips. 12 top bolts, 2 underside nuts, oil bolt, anything else I'm not seeing? Anything I should know before I get started? I appreciate all the help!!!

Comment

You can remove the head while the engine is in the frame.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                          X